Bottom Drain / Returns

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Telthepondman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Telthepondman »

Gazza, enough of that old flannel,iv'e retired now from pondbuilding as you know, i leave it up to you youngsters now, it's all got to technical for me. I still think big is beautiful and all the new bits are add ons. I'm now back to my first love, playing with wood, besides theres to many at it now, but iv'e still got my old fashioned views which thankfully haven't let me down yet, touch wood. Keep the good work up.Tel.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Tel do you do wood turning? I may have a little something I need from you if you do?

Andy I can't rememebr if you said you were having an airdome? If so can I suggest with the placing of 1 skimmer in the pool you have the air pump for the dome on a timer so the flow can take the muck that will collect at one end to the skimmer? I beleive that you need 2 kimmers in a pool with an air dome. Would be interested in others thoughts on this?

Jules
webrat11
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by webrat11 »

With you on this one Jules, as you know from my pond. :(

The air dome is excellent but it cuts the pond surface "in half "and surface debris gets pushed by the air to collect at each end.

If I can get get my skimmer operatonal again I will put the air on a timer to allow the whole pond surface to clear a few times a day.

I have so many needles coming down off my tree that the fish must think they are having a pine scented bath!!

Ian
Telthepondman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Telthepondman »

Hi, Jules, yes i do wood turning, my lathe will turn up to 1 mtr in length approx and up to about 12 inch in diam, although i can turn the headstock and turn up to 3to4 feet in diam but i would not like to try it. On hols tommorrow 18th for 2 weeks 2nd May Talk soon. Tel.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Tel,

You have a nice time and your far to young to retire :wink:

Hi Jules,

When building my pond i actually thought about two skimmer not just for helping keep it clean but for extra filtration so a good idea.I have to admit my water is normally OK and i can see the fish so its not that bad :D
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi All,

Thanks for all the response-glad i asked for all the advice as i can see i would of made plenty of mistakes already!

Yes im going to have a aireated bottom drain as the more air the better-plus helps with currents. I never really thought about the effect the air would have on the pond and with hindsight i can see it will effectively cut the pond in two.

So do i go for a timer on the air pump which will be cheaper?

Or fit a second skimmer which would give me a third return as suggested and a third filter(Emma wont like this!) which can surely only be a good thing despite the cost! Could i fit a second skimmer with out filtration be fitted and a filter added later?

Any thoughts greatly apprecieated??????

Cheers Andy :D :D :D
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Sorry meant to mention that we have a tree in the garden which will obviously be dropping leaves so will need a efficient skimmer system-would switching the air off a few times a day be enough?

Think its a birch or beech-will check with emma when she gets home-im assuming this isnt poisonous?????

Also what skimmers would you recommend as i wont know where to start?

Cheers Andy :D
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Not long got it so excuse me if I witter on.

Ok then Skimmers. Certkin flap weir skimmer is the chosen skimmer of choice for me because A. Parts are easily avalaible if you break your flap weir. B. Flap weirs I find more efficient than collar weir's in the baskets C. You get a 2 inch and 1,5 inch BSP threaded outlets so the alternatives regarding fitration is endless. D. you can cut the bottom out and put ina 3 inch tank connector for gravity fed filtration. E. you can put in and overflow and an auto top up in the skimmer. You do not need to buy an extension kit for the wide mouth version just cut your block work at 45 deg and thee is your wide mouth skimmer saving your self £35.00 in the process.

I would go for 2 skimmers and add the filtration to the second one when funds allow. I wouldn't go down the timer route now you mention the trees.

Tel have a nice holiday and drop me a line when you get back I have a project for you. :wink:

Jules