Electric supply to pond???

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Stoney,

Yep i have spoken to the IEE on a few occasions and even been lucky enough to work there :D

The answer to the question is if you have a suitably trained Corgi guy he will be able to do the final connections to the boiler or the electrician can but leave it switched off for the corgi man to come along and do his stuff.

I carry out wiring to a lot of control equipment and boilers and we would normal terminate and test right up to the boiler and then let the guys do their stuff :D

They actually carry out training for this type of thing and i believe our resident Plumber Andy B holds a certificate so he can indeed carry out connections ect...come on Andy where are you :wink:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Im going to be putting in my drain and electric supply this weekend. Ive worked out what equipment i will be running and was just hoping someone can confirm what size wire i will require???

1 x UV 60 watt
3 x Aquamax 10000 (120 watts???)
1 x Aquamax Eco 16000 (170 watts)
3 x Air pumps
2 x Lights of some description to illuminate filter bay at night

Any help will be really helpfull-many thanks Andy

Ps wire will be about 25 metres long if that makes any difference???
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Well if i was you i would run a 2.5mm SWA XLPE (or 4mm if you can get it) that will cover you for much more than you will need and even have enough room for a 3kw heater but don't tell the wife :wink:

25meter of 2.5mm SWA XLPE would be OK for about 5kw and please remember not to mess about with electrics and make sure its all done by a qualified electrician with the suitable RCD's
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

Thanks for that-just wanted to make sure i get wire man enough for the job! Will lay the cable myself and get a sparky to do the rest!

Cheers Andy :D
andyb
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by andyb »

Hi Andy

Gaz etc :wink:

You will need to run a 2.5 armoured from the existing consumer unit down to your plant area.

This can be run as a radial, 32 amp rated

As you have already mentioned you will need to upgrade your consumer unit, as the supply will need to be RCD protected.

Use I.P. 56 rated sockets

Make sure your sparky carried out all relevant tests once the works are completed.

Regards

Andy

CORGI Part P Reg
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Andy,

Thanks-will get sparky to do as you advised-will get him to test it before i pay!!! :wink:

Cheers Andy :D
stoney
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

cable size

Post by stoney »

Hello andy, if you were to run the cable in 2.5mm steel wire armoured that would be be more than enough for the equipment you have listed and also allow for the few extra bits you may have forgot, (and also a small heater depending on the total load you end up exerting on the cable ect)
As for the rating of the cable, 2.5 mm steel wire armoured is rated to 28 amps if it is a pvc insulated cable so the circuit breaker needs to be rated below this not above, if you were to get a thermo setting type insulation then this is rated slightly higher.
if you were to ask at an electrical wholesaler they should be able to help.

Cheers Stoney
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Went shopping on friday-i bought 25metres of 4mm armoured cable as it was only a few quid more than the other type. I understand why you need armoured cable now-i dug up the mains supply to the house yesterday with a mini digger-luckily i realised it wasnt a root and didnt try to tug it out! :D

Andy