Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Finally started the Pond!

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi All,

Finally ready to start the build-have cut down countless trees, removed old fences, put new fences up and moved something like ten tons of soil to level garden. Want to make sure i get everything done right first time (like that will happen!)

Trying to work out filtration first-hopefully going for a pond around 5000 gallons certainly no bigger due to small garden. Ive got a cl3 but havent got room for it and not sure if its that suitable for a k1 conversion.

Ive been looking at the nexus range.My original thoughts were a nexus 200 on a bottom drain and a eazy pod on the skimmer line. Today i was measuring up and am worried about the room i have for filters-im sure the eazy pods are quite small and would fit much better thatn the 200 or 300 models. So i was wondering if would be better off running two eazy pods off two bottom drains and a third off of the skimmer line???? Would there be any problems with this approach, there is a lot in the price difference or the filtration rates????? I know it would mean running another pump, but surely that would be a good thing as it would give higher turn over and a third return, also a second bottom drain would surely only help?????

Cheers Andy

:D :D :D :D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Its about time :D

Well i would think you would be better with the Nexus & Pod so is there no way you can shoe horn them in,even if you had to drop the size of the pond :?: :?:

The reason i say this is because IMO its better to have a over filtered smaller pond than an Under filtered larger pond :D

Have a look at this link you may pick up a couple of bargains:

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4642
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

Just tried the maths (think its right!)

Eazy pod filters 2200 gallons, nexus 200-4000 gallons. So if i had a 200 and eazy pod id be good for 6200 gallons, but if i had three eazy pods id be good for 6600 gallons???

Actualy works out cheaper for three eazy pods (apart from extra pump etc)???

Am i barking up the wrong tree???

Cheers Andy

Ps where did you get your big tt from?
:D
dfinn
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dfinn »

Hi,

The Benifit of using the 200 would be that you have a fluidised K1 chamber which is much more beneficial biologically than the static K1 found in the Pod.

I'd go for a NeXus 200 from an aerated bottom drain, and a Pod on the skimmer line. Shrink your pond if need be to fit them in, it will be worth loosing a few gallons.

Thanks,

Daniel
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Surly the three pods would take up more room and yes you will need an extra pump and i believe people think the Nexus is a better than a Pod but i don't use one so cant comment.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Does that mean that the eazy pod only has static k1? Ive only ever seen the nexus 200 working-just assumed that the eazy pod had fluidised k1 as well!
Will have a rethink and go for the nexus 200, like you say id much ather have a smaller pond with more filtration if neccesary!

Thanks for steering me in the right direction once again!

Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

yes the Nexus is a unit that uses two types of K1 as in fluid and static these are contained in different chambers whereas the Pod only used static K1 :D

Hope we have helped you a bit and defiantly go smaller to fit better filtration you will be glad you did once its stocked :wink:
sharpy30
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sharpy30 »

i only had a small area for a pond so block built fiter was out on the question and in the end i went for the nexus 300 easy with 200ltr of k1.

the pond is only 4000gallons but the filter can cope upto 7500gallons.plus i quite heavly stocked as well.

if you go for a pod on the skimmer you will have convert the skimmer to take a 3inch pipe and not the 1inch and half that most of them are.

cheers dave
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Dave and Gazza,

Have just measured up, the largest the pond will be is 5000 gallons and that is external measurements so take the width of the walls into consideration and its probably 4500 at a guess???

Need to check the measurements of the nexus range- would like to think i may be able to afford a 300 and the easy pod. If i cant fit it in will have to modify a filter to take k1

Will post a picture of first design idea in a bit if i can work out how!

Cheers Andy :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

That sounds great, go for the 300 if you can. You'll be able to over stock without any problems
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Here is first idea.
dfinn
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dfinn »

Hi,

I work that out to be about 4500 Gal at 2m Depth. Good size, although if you made it rectangular you would have 6200 Gal at 2m depth. Nexus 300 and a Pod me thinks.

Thanks,

Daniel
Cashybai
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Cashybai »

Andy, 1 other option for the filtration would be a Bubblebead, the footprint is small, can be remote sited or behind fences etc. Similar kind of price to a nexus as well.There are a few of us on here running bead type setups.... :wink:
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

we dont know the relation or orientation of the pond in the garden so its hard to adjust your diagram. but i think youll find it hard to cram in all the pipework, valves, pumps, UV, air pump and filters in that area. it seems a little slim in the width.
a better idea i think would be to have a rectangle pond and use the rest for everything else
Attachments
emmajpond.jpg
emmajpond.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 15140 times
dfinn
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dfinn »

Hi,

The above suggestion would give you about 4500 Gal and much more room for filters and other bits n bobs like pumps, UV's, Hx and electrics.

Thanks,

Daniel