Problem with myh nexus eazy 200 - and no idea what is wrong!

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Mookiemoo
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Problem with myh nexus eazy 200 - and no idea what is wrong!

Post by Mookiemoo »

Worked fine and dandy until recently.

We had a blaanket weed problem but we seem to be on to of it now.

The problem with the nexus is....... the outer ring of fluid media has the levels only half what it should be.

The whole thing is fully full of water - even in both chambers.

Within minutes of turning on the pump - the outer ring falls to half.

Flow from the pond seems fine and if it wasnt then I would expect the filter to empy totally.

We havent changed or touched the pump.

I emptied it and jet wshed the eazy and the outlet (not the fluid media obviously)

I havent taken the eazy out as i dont see what it would achieve although I did take all the media out.

Any ideas welcome.
Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy_L »

I know this is perhaps going to sound condecending(sp) and I really do not mean it to be. Are the gate valves completely shut and are the boots on base to tight/leaking. ANdy
Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy_L »

Oh, i have had another thought.... has the outlet pipe become loose inside outlet screen?
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Hi Mook's.

When you empty the inner chamber ensure the outer chamber is full and then pull out the pipe from the centre chamber and allow water to come into it from the outer chamber. It sounds like your"kiss joints" are blocked. These are the joints where the inner and outer chambers are molded together. This should be done frequently and is a common proble after blanket weed issues.

Jules
Mookiemoo
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mookiemoo »

Jules wrote:Hi Mook's.

When you empty the inner chamber ensure the outer chamber is full and then pull out the pipe from the centre chamber and allow water to come into it from the outer chamber. It sounds like your"kiss joints" are blocked. These are the joints where the inner and outer chambers are molded together. This should be done frequently and is a common proble after blanket weed issues.

Jules
Will try that tomorrow evening when I get in from work.

It seems stable enough at half full for 24 hours and i'm not a fan of faffing at 11:30 at night when I have to be up at 6!
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

No worries let me know how you get on. I a not around for couple of weeks so can't help you with your other snags.

Jules
Mookiemoo
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mookiemoo »

Andy_L wrote:I know this is perhaps going to sound condecending(sp) and I really do not mean it to be. Are the gate valves completely shut and are the boots on base to tight/leaking. ANdy
i'll try jules thing tomorrow.

Not sure what you are talkng about anyway,

For me to understand pond filters you wouold have to put it in terms of "is the blue handle at the base of XYZ that looks like ABC looking like 123".

I can handle complex computer systems.

But pond plumbing is beyone me!

I have an ABC guide to flushing the nexus.

I have recently managed to adapt it to - if it aint draining properly, stick a jet wash wand up the out drain until you dislodge whatever is blocking it.

Anything more complex is a mystery.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Call me when you clean it tomorrow and I will talk you through each step.

Jules

p.s. How's sick boy doing? Felling better I hope?
Mookiemoo
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mookiemoo »

Jules wrote:Call me when you clean it tomorrow and I will talk you through each step.

Jules

p.s. How's sick boy doing? Felling better I hope?
Think I can manage on your description - will call if I get stuck!

Sick boy still on warfarin for the DVT which is casuing him grief - he osccilates between heamophiliac (sp?) levels of clotting and normal levels. He cant faff with the pond at the momet because if he cuts himself, depending on his clotting level, he can bleed to death. Thankfully he's only got anotyher 2-3 weeks on the bloody stuff.

He's still sligtly dizzy but we dont know whether that is side effects of the warfarin or permanent residual symptoms of the stroke/brainvirus/whateveritwassincetheydontseemtoknow.

We wll only know when he comes off the warfarin.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

I hope he gets better soon. How did you get on with the kiss joint cleaning routine?

Jules
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

I think Jules has this spot on. In the cut-a-way nexus I have seen in the past there are a series of small pillars spaced close enough together to keep the K1 from flushing into the inner chamber.. These would catch BW in a flash. what you are doing in essence is back flushing the kiss joint. You might need to do this several times if you see junk come out on the first go and repeat it until it's all clear.

B.Scott
Mookiemoo
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mookiemoo »

In the middle of the thid reverse back flush

Will keep you posted.

Running bout 3 hours behind schedule as damn client had work that needed doing.

:-)
Casper Chapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Casper Chapman »

It can also be K1 that is blocking it, which is sometimes harder to shift than the blanket weed.
The K1 can get trapped if any of it falls into the central chamber either by accident, or if filter blocks and spills over.
It's very easy to backflush, if you need any more info, give us a shout.
Les
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

True Les, That goes double if you have some of the older K1 where some of the bit were scruched up when they were cut!

B.Scott
Casper Chapman
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Casper Chapman »

Just back flushed the Nexus to find yet more K1 in the central chamber.
Guys you do really need to be carefull about this stuff spilling from the Easy into the central chamber and blocking the flow.