Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Oase Pumps

Post by Graham. »

Hi all glad the weekend is here !

Can someone fill me in please on some info for the New Oase Aquamax pump range.

Im aware there are two ranges now the START and ECO the ECO being the cheaper to run because of lower wattage.

Now so you understand what im doing and my reason for asking is this, I have an old Aquamax 8000 running in my pond its coming up for two years old and still working away as good as ever.

Now im thinking of replacing this pump as I have another meens for it but I was wondering what I should replace it with, this is where I need to be put straight.

The ECO 8000 seems to pull through the same as the OLD 8000 version but runs on 80w and is £209 *approx
Now the START 8500 seems to pull through at the rate of the OLD 10,000 model but runs on 110w and is £199 *approx

Which would you suggest ?? should I go for a better turnover rate through my filters or go the cheaper route but same turn over.

Sorry for a silly question but im sure you guys can throw a spanner in the works as to pro's and con's I have not even thought of.

Thanks.
Graham
sharpy30
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sharpy30 »

why not try this one.

http://www.******-koi.com/shop/?prodid=841

it use's less power ie 65watts.

thats what i will be looking at when my pump packs in.

cheers dave
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Hi Dave it needs to be submersible as my pond is pump fed.

Graham
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

Hi Graham,

The Aquamax start is the old aquamax.I have a 5500 which is essentially a Start although it's several years old.

The new Eco has a totally different motor and consumes around two thirds of the current of the original.

ie: the old 12000 used 200 watts,the new one uses 130 watts.

Here's the gumph on the new range Link removed at the request of laurence @ water-garden

Want one.Or two.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Cheers Graham,

But my dilema is.. do I

Pay £199 for the Start 8500 This pump IS the old 10,000model (Improved) Power Consumption 110w 8100 lph at zero head.

OR

Pay £209 for the Eco 8000 Power Consumption 80w Turnover rate 8000ltrs per hour zero head 4.0m Max head

Im saving 30w in power with Eco
or im gaining 100 lph with Start

My brain hurts !

Graham
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

For me that's a no brainer.

30 watts for an extra 100 lph ?

Considering one of these will happily run for 10 years that's a lot of electrickery you'd save for virtually the same flow.

Eco every time.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Graham, firstly cheers for your comments and I understand where your coming from and im now agreeing with you that the Eco sounds the more logical.
Now im thinking, ok so its an extra 30 watts to run how much is this likely to cost lets say a day ??
But then from another angle im thinking 100 litres extra thats 2,400 litres a day which would suggest that my pond will get an added turn over of an extra quarter a day as my ponds just over 10,000 litres.
Would this extra 2400 aday be worth the extra 30w payment or is it minimal and like you said Eco all the way ??

Sorry to go on, just want it clear in my mind before the purchase.

Graham
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

Yeah.Don't you just love math. :D

I look at it this way.

8500Start is 8100 lph divided by 110 watts = 72.6 litres per hour per watt.

Eco is 8000 lph divided by 80 watts = 100 litres per hour per watt.

I guess that's why it's called an Eco. :lol:

As to the lost 100 lph.It's not a lot.It's only 1.25% more flow for 37.5% more electricity.

30 watts x 24 hours is 720 watts per day extra current for that extra 2.400 litres.

Try a browse of [url=http://www.koicarp.org.uk/koi_dry_goods_pump_%20charr.htm]This page[/url] for a running cost comparison.It shows that running a 30W UV for a year costs approximately £15.77 per year at a unit cost of 6p.I have no idea what you pay per unit so that's the closest I can get.

All those figures are based on zero head though and as the Eco has a higher head rating I suggest it will pump more than the Start as soon as it has to pump above the water line meaning that the higher above the water line your filter is the more efficient/greater flow you'll get from the Eco.In the real world I suspect it will pump more.

I expect the price of the Start to drop considerably in the near future when folk work this out and start buying the Eco.Pun intended.

I find a good single malt is extremely good for curing headaches. :wink: :D
Smart Koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Smart Koi »

Hi Graham,

I agree with the other graham in that if you want the pump with the higher wattage then the extra cost is only a small one. I would not think 30 watts will costs moe than 50 pence a month on your electriciy bill.

Dean.
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

I have an aquamax 10,000. It uses 110 watts for 10 tons an hour. That's 11.00 watts per ton
The Eco 12,000 uses 130 watts for 12 tons an hour. That's 10.83 watts per ton.

This comes down to a saving of 0.17 watts!

Where is the big savings and 30% less power usage? :?

I'll stick with the old pumps for that price thank-you-very-much

B.Scott
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

Scott,

The old style 12000 uses 200 watts.The new Eco 12000 uses 130 watts.That's 35% less power or more accurately 65% of the power usage.Used 24/7/365 that adds up and is environmentally friendlier.I wasn't comparing the 10000 to anything and they no longer make an equivalent pump anyway.

The 8500 Start uses 110 watts the new 8000 Eco 80 watts.Which is 72% of the power usage.That is the comparison that was asked for and which I gave an answer to.It is a 28% power saving.

Considering that the new pumps have a higher head rating then the older styles I suspect it can be taken that they will actually shift more water when lifting over a given height to an above ground filter.That of course would need to be measured to be proved true.

My new pump will be an Eco unless the purchase price of the older style pumps drops dramatically.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

My new Eco 8000 on order, Have to admit when these companies bring out a new product it does seem to throw people, im glad we get the oppotunity to discuss these issues which in turn helps me make what I feel as the right choice. Cheers Graham for your input and everyone else.

Regards Not the the other Graham but the other Graham before that..... I think :shock: :? :wink:
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

:D

Hope I helped and didn't muddy the water too much. :D

I'm still hunting around but want an eco sometime in the spring to beef up my flow rate.Still not sure what size but the 16000 looks good what with controllable flow and all that.

I reckon they even make sequence pumps look a bit limp but I am a bit of an Aquamax fan boy anyway.

Have fun.

What's the Japanese for Graham?
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

With the 10,000 using less than the 8000 I think I'll ge a cuple more of those!
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

Have you been in the coffee shop Scott? :D

Agreed the 10000 uses the same as last years 8000 @ 110 watts which makes it a good pump.It doesn't use less. :?:

The new 8000 Eco is 80 watts.

I'd take a 10000 if the price was right.