Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

How deep does a koi pond need to be?

Post by emmaandaj »

HI,

Next silly question!Just trying to work out how deep i need to dig. What is the minimum depth that is suitable for a koi pond? Going to have it raised and was wondering how high above ground that everyone has there ponds? How deep does the base need to be?

Cheers Andy
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

I thimk a way i would go would be to dig down 3ft and above ground by 3ft so once you have a base in and the water level at the top it roughly give you 5ft deep of water! :D
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

Put in a slope of at least 6/9" (pump),or have it sloping into the middle (bottom drain),this will assist in getting all the crap to gravitate to your suction.
LCBkoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by LCBkoi »

i agree with dave about the slope....i've got a 3ft deep pump fed system...... i wish i had made it at least 5ft and had a better slope... i get around it by having a very powerful airstone on which helps to move the waste...but this is not as effective as a good slope.

liam
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

I to would go for 5ft minimum depth...
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

i would suggest six foot up to five foot sloping , possibly using the streamflow system , any more than six foot i believe there is no real benefit , also makes harder to catch if needed for treatments etc ..the reason that deep ponds where thought to be beneficial to koi making them stronger due to the added pressure at lower depths but i think that this is wasted after six foot any way ...scotty is the man i think can answer this as i seem to remember a post not disimilar..
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Go on get the spade out and start digging mate :D :wink:

I would also look for around 6ft as its nice and deep have you any idea on the others sizes :?: :?:
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Anything deeper than 8ft is a. Hard to catch Koi. b. the koi do not recieve any beneficial UV rays from the sun so if your koi sits on the bottom for most of the time it's olours will degrade. b was from a conversation between Peter Waddington and myself in Japan Oct 2004 when I was planning a pool for a client.

Jules
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,
Thanks for the response-will be aiming for 5-6ft with 3ft being above ground. Will post a few ideas with regards to design of the pond over the weekend. Hopefully should be able to start digging soon (just hope we have a nice dry mild spell in the near future!)

Cheers Andy
Jagger
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Jagger »

The way I see it, it depends on the size of fish you are keeping.

I can point you at a 4ft plus (4 or 5 inches),100lb plus, chagoi being kept in a 5ft deep show pond that has lost its previous perfect body confirmation because it can't swim downwards.A perfect depth for that fish is a lot different to a perfect depth for a two footer.The pond is 5ft for ease of bowling fish for customers.

So it's a balance between perfect for the fish and acceptable for the keeper.Sure,it's easier to catch a crippled fish in shallower water but it's got to be more satisfying catching a perfect specimen from deep water.If the water is too deep for your net then get another net that can do the job.

Mine is five feet deep but I don't have any jumbos.I just have stunted fish from keeping too many of them in too small a pond.Dig big. :D

[img]http://www.jagger.plus.com/images/digger.jpg[/img]
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

I'm sure I read an article about keeping/growing rather large Koi in relatively shallow water?? was it in Koi Carp magazine?? has anyone else seen it?? or am I dreaming, again? :roll:
chita
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by chita »

IMHO - There's no truth I've been able to corroborate in the depth versus heat issue, all the warm layer stuff has little bearing on modern ponds at the depths we're talking about. As for the growth issues I can tell you that is definitely a myth, the water quality not quantity is what indirectly effects growth. I can accept that perhaps koi may grow quicker and easier in deeper water, but with a little care they can be grown large in a few feet only. Of course there are other aspects of deeper water without a doubt, more fun for the koi to start with, and happy koi will be healthier koi.

I would imagine it being easier to keep koi healthy in larger and deeper bodies of water, but there are to my knowledge no scientific barriers to keeping and growing good sized healthy koi in 2 or 3 feet of water. I've heard it said that shape is influenced by the depth, but as I yet I have to see this for myself. My 1900 gallon puddle (including filters etc.) is around 12' x 7.5', depth is 3' one end and 3.5' the other. Since opting for softer water 2 years ago I've grown a couple of koi on from 25 to 55cm and a few have gone from 45 to 70cm in the same time frame. I do not feed growth foods ever and I only feed lightly, there's all they need in a good quality feed which can be fed all year. Growth rate is not my interest, only that they do of course grow and are healthy. Of course I would perhaps have concerns were I in possession of 3' + koi, as they do need water above them when manouvering. Ultimately, that said, I don't myself consider depth any more important than surface area. They need room in all directions, so most garden koi ponds are a compromise. A small lake would no doubt be every keepers ideal, meanwhile down here on planet earth we have to work hard to keep koi in smaller compromised bodies of water.

Chi
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Chi,

Thanks for your input.Ive decided rather than going for the biggest pond i can fit in my garden, i think i will try to go for a slightly smaller pond and spend the extra on a much larger filtration system, hopefully it will mean better water quality and slightly less maintenance. The few koi i do have are very small at the moment and i wont be in a position to buy large fish so hopefully the pond i build will be more than big enough. My only concern was whether a shallow pond would be prone to problems in the winter with the cold weather-as my pond wont be heated(although i wish it were!)? Hopefully i should be looking at around 5-6ft when i build the pond which hopefully will be ok.
Thanks again, Regards Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Thats the trick to build a pond that a/ you can afford to run b/ has enough filtration to do the job well :D

You better off having a smaller pond with adequate filtration that you can afford to run than a massive pond with inadequate filtration that costs a fortune to run.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

Im hoping to be able to have two large filters, one on the bottom drain and one on the skimmer, hopefully therefore providing plenty of extra filtration.Id much rather have to wait and save up a bit more for some extra filtration, instead of rushing out and ending up with just about enough filtration. Will try and keep an open mind for the time being, although i wana get that spade out tommorrow! Im going to get out in the garden and have a good measure up tommorrow to try and get an idea of what size i can go for. Ive three ideas in mind with shape as it has to go in one corner of the garden. Hopefully if i post the ideas, you guys can advise me on what would be best. Due to the fact the pond will be in a corner i have concerns about getting the water flow right so as not to create any slack areas. Will try and post a rough sketch of my ideas later if i get a chance.

Cheers Andy :P :D :D :D