Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Help With K1 Filter

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

I made a filter with k1 a while ago which seems to work really well, the only problem ive encountered is that the static k1 can become almost impossible to clean.On several occassions ive had to completely remove the k1 and clean it by hand.I think this is partly caused by the quantity of k1 in the chamber-i think i have to much and therefore when you agitate it, it struggles to free up the krap (especially blanketweed) Unfortunately i made the transfer port to low and therefore need such a large quantity in the chamber to cover the transfer port.

Im just about to modify my filter ready for my new pond and was wondering how thick the layer of static k1 needs to be in order to filter effeciently? Also i was wondering if using a easy style unit rather than a normal chamber with a k1 proof transfer port would work better? Does the easy stop larger bits of krap from entering the easy in the first place and there fore stop the k1 clogging up????

Any help will be gratefully recieved!

Cheers Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Yes Ive been that route with BW ion the K1 and it took us ages to clean it :roll:

I ended up turning my inlet pipe down and having a filter grid over the top so any large waste would stay below the filter grid and only the small stuff would get to the K1.So basically my K1 is in its own chamber and doesn't get any large BW or waste so is easier too clean.

The amount of K1 you need is just a suck it and see exercise by just removing a little at a time unfortunately.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

I tried turning the inlet downwards which helped with the bw, unfortunatelt i cocked up the position of the transfer port. Will try a grill higher up to try and pursuade the bw to stay out of the k1. Theres nothing worse than cleaning clogged up k1 by hand! Are there any pics of the grill you've used on any posts? Thanks for advice on cuttlebrook koi-spoke to lisa yesterday, am going up on sunday to get a few little ones to grow on!

Cheers Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Good news on the growing on fish mate and you wont be disappointed its a great place with nice people...and the fish aren't bad either :D :wink:

This is a couple of pictures i have of the filter grid i used:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... mal_41.jpg[/img]
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

That looks spot on! Will definately try a similar approach, the only thing that worried me was being able to clean the grill if it got clogged up-do you have any probs with it? Dont suppose you have any more pics of the transfer ports? Was thinking maybe about using a sieve before the main filter-do you think this would help?

Cheers Andy
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Try putting a brush in the primary. Most of the stringy blanket weed ends up getting hung up on it and it's easy to clean as long as it's just one brush.

B.Scott
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

I don't get any problems as when its cleaned and flushed all the waste goes through the holes the only time i had some problems was when i deliberately let the BW get long to see how the filter handled it :roll: and to be honest i can get all the K1 out and clean the grid in less than 30 minutes so not a problem to be honest.You can also clean it out with a good hose or a jet wash if you needed.

The grill i have in the picture has a lot more holes in it now as i always re drill the holes now and get as many as i can in so i don't get any reduction in flow :D

I would imagine a sieve before the main filtration would be OK and many people use them with good results.
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Ant reduction? :shock:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Didn't think about using brushes, could maybe use in a chamber before the easy. Although if gazza hasn't had any problems, then hopefully i can get away without. Not sure if i could afford a seive or have space for one. The grill does look as if it can be cleaned easily, how much K1 do you have in there? Have you ever found that the grill stops any of the krap from draining when you agitate it? Is the grill made from perspex?

Cheers Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Not sure what its made from but its a tough plastic and fish safe and no never had any problems so far apart from as said above when i let the BW grow :shock:

I would estimate i have about 30-35 lts in the of K1....i think :?
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

A sieve isn't the complete answer, BW will get through that and clog it as well. Infact I used to get BW being pulled through the Answer I used to have with a 100 micron screen. In my static K setup I used to get it all mixed in with the static K until the BW died off (Hurrah!)

That saying about building a better mouse-trap goes for Blanket weed as well. Find a way to exclude it and you could be very rich!

B.Scott
Cashybai
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Cashybai »

I know its a different design to an answer, but it doesn't seem to get through an estrosieve Scotty,certainly not IMHO on my setup, maybe because of the different mechanics involved as against an answer? :?
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi all,

Popped into TC koi today to look at filters, i have a CL3 already and was hoping to use this. Although i was thinking maybe instead of modifying this for k1, if i can afford go for a nexus on the bottom drain and possible an eazy pod on the skimmer. The nexus range seem very compact and neat compared to a lot of filters ive seen. Unfortunately space is very tight, so probably wouldnt have room for a sieve. Am i right in thinking that the answer is expensive to run? Since building a static k1 style filter, ive been amazed at how well it works, the water has been crstal clear since and the water parimeters have been spot on, i just had concerns about blanket weed clogging up. Just need to start saving up that little bit more, cheers for the input-much appreciated, regards Andy
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

The Answer is a electrical motor and if you was to buy a Nexus now you would get an Easy one with the static K1 which takes the place of the Answer :wink:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

I dont think i could afford an answer unit, the eazy unit seems to be spot on, and must importantly-you dont need to get wet to clean it out! There is a new nexus coming out apparently in the next month or so, do you know if there is any real difference or whether it is just a cosmetic revamp?

Regards Andy