Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Hydrogen Peroxide

Post by TerryKoi »

Hi guys

So where do you buy your HP and what stregth do you use for cleaning monitor probes ... oh and how do you do it , stand probe in over night or what.
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

cant tell you what strenghth but you get it from a chemist :D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Terry,

You can get 3% & 6% i have both and i keep on bottle off HP just for cleaning the probes and just leave them in the bottle sometimes overnight but give them a good scrub with a toothbrush before hand.
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Hi thanks Jane,

Hi Gazz so do you re:use the same bottle or add fresh hp , also see some places sell 35% .
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Go to an aquarium shop and you can get 30% stuff they use for those oxygenators.

B.Scott
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Terry,

I use the same bottle and normally 6% and clean the probe fist with a brush and then using the toothbrush and some HP then drop it in the bottle and i will use this bottle more than once :wink:
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Cheers Gaz and you Scott , I' m not to happy with my self having just dicovered a massive build up of muck in my filters all cleaned now but shall have to watch my chappies closely, I'm running cold so hope I'll get away with it.
So monitors have alerted me to a potential disaster even before I got them sorted properly :wink:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Terry,

Looks like they have come in useful already :D this is the beauty of having some monitoring equipment even if its not top end and thousands of ££££££££££££ they will settle out and you will get used to how they work and what reading they give,If one day somethings changed then you will know to have a little look around :wink:

So what happened Terry was it a low reading so you decided to have a look :?: :?:
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Well Gazz the readings on the TDS have been telling of a problem with 330ppm tap and 230ppm pond , and the ORP well its all over the place from 1st test tap 474mv and 352mv pond this was a couple of days ago .

I have two seperate filter banks cleaned the first one two days ago and the other today, should have left it a while I know but after seeing what was in the first I thought it better to clean as soon as poss. the bays have steep banking sides to 50mm bottom drains and are flushed each night but I'm amazed how that muck clung in there, or maybe its a lot longer since I did a proper wash down and in fact just looked through my pond diary and well its 9 months whoops , time flys , :oops: :oops:
so easy to become to complacent, any way done now.

Today testing now in the pond well in the last filter bay actually , previuosly in a bucket, and well I cant seem to get a reading over 200 tap or pond so have calibrated in 400 fluid ,left in the fluid for few hours .

Try again but even tap water will not reg over 162mv and pond reading 137mv . I'll let it settle over night, or do you have any suggestions.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Terry,

Looks like you on top of your cleaning now and i am sure the fish will be happier as for the ORP try to leave it to settle as they can take some to settle in as long as its been cleaned with a brush to make sure nothings in there and then HP you should be OK.
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Hmmm... TDS 330ppm out of tap, and 230ppm in pond.

Terry - do you have a water purifier ? What is the reading out of this?

A lower TDS reading in the pond than out of your tap suggests either:
(1) your purifier is removing a lot of material. Hence my question.
(2) you are using up a lot of carbonates in your pond and should check your KH. If OK then not an issue. If low, then perhaps increased water changes. Perhaps

A lower TDS reading in pond to water supply is the total converse to a build up of crud in your pond.

Tom
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Tom,

I think Terry has found the problem only there was a build up of muck in the system.
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Gazza

I know. But that result is logically the opposite to his TDS readings. If he had a buildup of mulm then his TDS reading should go up (if that was the only change).

Tom
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Tom,

You are bang on what i was saying was he found some "crud" in the system so decided to clean which would mean more fresh water into the pond as they hadn't been cleaned for some while so perhaps not enough water has been changed :wink:
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

Hi Tom Gaz

I did a few tests just before setting up the monitors and the results were as follows, no purifier just add declorinator.
KH GH
pond 9ºdh 12ºdh
tap 15ºdh 17ºdh

PH 7.8 to 8.2 but of late has been as low as 7.2 from tap which is low for down here in hampshire . any coments I can take it ,