diy TT

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

galty
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

diy TT

Post by galty »

I'm gonna be making a trickle tower soon using ideas from a few of the ones of here. I have the fittings media trays etc and just need to find some suitable boxes. I was going to use alfagrog will this be ok? i have read that some of you use BHM and i dont know what this is or were you buy it? can someone advise. Or is alfagrog the best routefor the money?

Cheers
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi galty,

You can make TT/Shower out of any boxes as long as the water can pass through the media and depending on the size of the pump it can be fast or slow.

BHM is Bacteria House Media and is very good in TT & Showers it a ceramic type of media that for some reason or other works and works very well.There is a lot of hype about why it works and how it works all i can tell you is from my experience it works well on my system :D

The drawback is its very expensive :shock: :cry:

Grog works well and many people use this one of the main things is if the water is going to be "clean" or "dirty" when it goes over the media so it depends where you are pulling the water from or if you have any mechanical filtration before the TT/Shower.
galty
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

diy tt

Post by galty »

thanks for the info

i only have a small pond at the moment (750 gallon) :( with a blackbox filter.
i diverted half the flow away from this so hence i might as well run it through a TT before the waterfall. The water will be dirty and i thought i will overcome this by placing a mat layer over the first layer of grog in the first tier so that it will catch the lumps and i can easily remove and clean and keep the rest of the grog clean. Do you think this will work?

Cheers
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

Just don't start changing the filter around until the water temperature is above 18*C of the new stuff will not cycle.

B.Scott
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I am with Scotty on this i would wait till the weather warms up especially if you going to add a TT or Shower as this can get some wind chill and cool the pond.
sharpy30
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sharpy30 »

did mine about a month ago and its sat in the shed until the loverly weather comes again.

cheers dave
Big John
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Big John »

I was looking for the ideal box to contain my media. I had some solid stacking jobbies but with the pond being above ground, the water would need to be pumped to a height of 8' - so not ideal.
i managed to get hold of some shallow supermarket trays (the ones with the metal bars at either end which fold out to store or fold in for stacking.
These are only 6" deep and have loads of holes already in the bottom so should do me well when the weather starts to warm up.
galty
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

diy TT

Post by galty »

cos i'm pumping dirty water, is my idea of a mat layer below the spray bar on top of grog in the first container correct? This would really simplify maintenace. Or is it not a good idea??

Cheers
James Pond
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by James Pond »

Hi

I pump water straight from my QT over 2 showers, I have a layer of the filter wool stuff on top of the media in the top box, this definitely works as the K1, Bio balls and Jap mat in the boxes below stays very clean and there's no fines in my water.

The filter wool does need changing every week or so though as it does get clogged and very dirty, depending on the feed rate and amount of fish waste etc. You can get 30m rolls of it from Ebay for about £30, one of these will last months and months.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Guys,

I pump my water directly from the bottom drain on my QT to my BST (Bin Shower Tower) which has BHM in it with a bit of matting on the bottom.Recently i noticed that the clarity had been off a little bit so i had some spare foam so i cut a couple of bits and placed them on the top of the BHM under the spray bar and must say it has cleared it up very well :D
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

same here guys ...sponge or filter wool will trap the muck but regular maintenance is a must ...(jens job) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
koimod
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by koimod »

I have heard of people using Kaldnes K3 in TT as well due to its size.