DIY T/T

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

DIY T/T

Post by StuW »

Anybody got any ideas how to make a T/T from a rubbish bin. Its for my Q/T. I know Gazza did one but cant find any info and I wondered if any of you guys had done simular and had diagrams to show how you constructed it or photos.
thanks in advance

stuart
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Stu,

I have mine feed with a Aquamax 8000 fed from the bottom drain all in 2" pipe and to a home made spray bar.I just drilled a load of holes in the bottom and the the better to help give a nice flow. hope the pictures help:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2556.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2763.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2766.JPG[/img]
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Any other ideas?
so Gazza is the media just chucked in straight into the bin or have you got some kind of support for it above the bin base. Guess you are using BHM but is there any other alternatives, just to keep costs down more than anything else, and what is the minimum flow people would recommend for a set up like this as it is a very small tank and if too much water is being run through the filters the fish will feel like they are living in a vortex.

Sorry so many questions

Stuart
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Stuart

Mine is very similar to Gazza's. I think it's a 50 liter bin (from B&Q). The lid is a washing up bowl (also B&Q). I cut an exit hole at the front rather than exists underneath. Inside I have put a piece of filter grid fixed just above the exit.

BHM in use in mine too.

Aquamax 5000 pushing the water through so reasonable turnover.

Tom
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Stu,

Yes its very basic and easy to do and yes it is stuffed with BHM i have heard of people using cut off bits of matting have you any??

I think the flow rate is dependent on what you use to be honest as i wanted it fairly fast to push through the BHM like a shower.

Tom,hows the modification on your coming along did it work :?: :?:
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Gazza

I'll have to check tomorrow - I haven't looked too closely recently... dark in mornings, dark in evenings... see the koi eating, pH OK, checks done!

Details 2row

Tom
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Cheers guys plenty of things to consider, Just one more thing
Is there any truth in the info I have heard that the petrified clay balls people use to sit plants on act as good boi filtration in Showers?

Stuart
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Stu,

I have never heard of it but basically bacteria will stick to almost anything after a while just some stuff is better than others.

Where are you going to pull the water from and is this an add on or a change of filtration :?: :?:
sharpy30
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sharpy30 »

i would'nt use li tag (think thats how its spelt) there are far better products on the market.

but the shower looks good :lol:

cheers dave
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Thanks for the advice Dave, I guess its a case of keep looking for some BHM at a cost which will not break the bank
Will hopefully get it started next weekend and post some pictures as it progresses.

Stuart
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Stu,

How is it going to work as an add on or new filter and where will you be pulling the water from :?: :?: :?:
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Plan is to connect to the bottom drain thingy at the end of the tank via a v small external pump then temporarily I want it to run into the little box filter until the media has developed then eventually straight into the Q?T
you know my existing set up so do you think this is possible.
Next pond might be on the drive as we dont use it.
Thinking wood frame about 4ft high clad in ply or exterior grade mdf and infilled with polystyrene and fibreglassed on the inside and then fed and filtered by a shower, thinking about 10 x 5 and then design it so it can be completely enclosed over the winter.
So much to do so little time so little money. The story of my life.

Regards Stuart