boxes for tt's

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Johnny_Boy
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

boxes for tt's

Post by Johnny_Boy »

Hi all, Just wondering where I can get some good boxes to make a trickle tower. All of the ones I have seen slot into each other rather than stacking. Any ideas?

John
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

John you can use the boxes from B&Q mate, just dril holes in the bottom of them and cut a slot in the bottom one at the front to let the water flow back in...

I used them myself and Bob also has them, Have a look at some of the threads in here, Gazza uses a plastic bin.... :wink:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

John - are you sure they aren't stacking? They normally fit inside each other on the shop shelf but when you turn them through 180 degrees they stack.
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

boxes for tt`s

Post by Thorny »

Here is a picture of My Trickle Tower John. Made from stac box`s from B&Q. I fitted the top box with a spray bar and drilled loads of holes in the bottoms, filled it with BHM and hey presto a Trickle Tower is born.
Justin
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Justin,

Looks OK and i bet it works a treat where are you puling the water from and at what flow rate :?:
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

box`s for trickle towers

Post by Thorny »

Thanks Gary. I have a block built filter system. Then end bay is just for My two 7500 ltr submersable pumps. One returns back to the pond via two 40mm returns, the other goes down My Trickle Tower.
The water is first Gravity fed to a settlement chamber , K1 then Jap mat.
I have noticed a huge improvement in My water since adding the Tower. When I first set it up I filtered through Alfagrog and that worked well, but then I saved My pennys and changed to BHM. You dont need Me to tell You how good this stuff is. The only down side of BHM is trying to explane to Your Wife why You have just spent £400 on three box`s of Giant Hair rollers :lol:
Justin
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Justin,

Yes i have to hold my hand say if you want a media for a TT or shower BHM winds hands down :D

I have tested the stuff on my QT tank and have seen the results in the fish and in their growth and the only media is BHM which is feed directly from a bottom drain,can you imagine a few years back saying i feed water directly from my bottom drain onto my biological media :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Box`s for Trickle towers

Post by Thorny »

Yeah Gary it is by far the best media to use on showers or TT. Did You have any water clarity problems on Your quarentine system. I am in the process of building a 1700 gallon indoor pond. I was going to go down the same route, Showers fed direct from bottom drains. I decided against it as I would like Gin Clear water. So I am going Settlement, K1 then down a Trickle Tower with BHM.
Justin
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I can have depending on how silly we go with food :D but to be honest i would say if you can have some kind of mechanical before the BHM and then i am sure you could keep very clean water.

Here are a couple of pictures from my tank:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_4020.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... G_2294.JPG[/img]
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

box`s for trickle towers

Post by Thorny »

Cheers Gary. The one thing I have noticed with all Koi kept in ponds filtered through BHM is great skin Quality. Displayed perfectly by Your Kohaku. Very nice, Who bred it?
Justin
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Justin,

It is an Ogawa Kohaku and has grown on very well it was 16cm when purchased in April 2005 and when last measured July was 45cm :D
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

box`s for trickle towers

Post by Thorny »

I think across the board that Ogawa breed some of the finest GO-Sanke koi there are. I had a tosai Ogawa Kohaku that I bought this year. Blooming thing jumped out the pond gutted!!! :cry:
Justin
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Sorry to here that Justin its always gutting when these things happen,where did you get it from :?:
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

box`s for trickle towers

Post by Thorny »

Hi Gazza yeah I was a little cheesed off to say the least.
I bought it along with a nice Showa also from Ogawa from the Koi Waterlife Centre at New Barn.
I have bought most of my Koi there, and always found them to be helpful.
Justin
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Justin,

Well snap our fish could be related :shock: as mine come from there also and yes the are great guys and have some stonking fish :D

So then your a Southerner then from Kent,Essex,London,Surrey,Sussex :?: :?: :?: