Multibay Vortex Static K1 Conversion

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Multibay Vortex Static K1 Conversion

Post by fatherted »

I have been giving this a lot of thought for some time. The original plan was to simply split the vortex down the middle but I had to rethink this once my filters were up and running with a larger Aquamax 10000 pump.

In my fluid K1 bay the K1 is bunching up over the transport port due to the amount of suction despite air constantly buffetting it so it was clear that a larger surface are was required.

I have added an open 'pipe' section to give this increased area.

A solid stainless plate divides the vortex down the middle...

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/290 ... 112001.jpg[/img]

Which then has a perforated base that allows the water to flow up

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/290 ... 113001.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/290 ... 114001.jpg[/img]

A 15mm speedfit air ring was tie wrapped to the bottom

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/290 ... re_152.jpg[/img]

And the K1 added

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/290 ... re_153.jpg[/img]

It all seems to be working pretty well so far, keeping the brushes in the next bay free from muck.

The cleaning process lets through a bit of waste as it is refilled but this must be the same on all these static K1 filters.

What do you all think?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ted,

Well that looks supper cool i can say :D :D :D :D :D :D

Keep us updated on how it performs and i am sure you will soon see the benefit of the static K1 it works great :D
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

what a very neat and tidy job ...you could earn a fortune making these ted
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

It is great having a laser cutter at work as I can sort out almost any shape. Problem is stainless prices have gone through the roof.
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

don't worry about the cost of the stuff with one of them tools at your disposal your going to have plenty of "private" jobs to do :lol:
more pennies in your koi fund !!!!
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Ted
Thar looks great, how often do you have to clean the K1?
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Stunning design Ted..

Where do I send my cheque and sizes measurements to :wink: :lol:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Kim - Not been been running it for a week yet but it seems to work in that my brushes are now clean. I have had a couple of cleaning trials and this seems to work well too. Only negative I have is that after turning it all over with air and refilling some particles do get washed on into the ret of the system. I assume however that this is the same for the Easy and all the coies.

Lakeside - You and all other members are welcome to send me sizes for anything you want in stainless however I am required to put it through the proper procedures at work and the cost normally works out more than expected.
SHAUN-TAYLOR
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by SHAUN-TAYLOR »

Wow ted looks great

well done

8)
Kiabosh
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Kiabosh »

Ted,

Credit where credit is due. What an excellent piece of work!

I think you've got it in the wrong section though, I though all DIY projects were supposed to be of the Heath Robinson design. LOL.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, why did you decide to split the vortex in half vertically? Wouldn't a round grid plate the same dia as the vortex sat on the start of the cone have been easier :?:

Anyway, an excellent piece of engineering, thanks for sharing it!

Carl :D
rich koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by rich koi »

Great design Ted. Keep us informed with the performance
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. Unfortunately I have not seen some of them until now as I have been able to get on the net as broadband for the entire street has been down for almost a month.

Carl - I split it in half as I was uneasy about not being able to get to the waste outlet and hose out or unblock if necessary. It has the other plus point of using less K1.

Regarding the performance, I am not sure if I am really happy or a bit dissapointed! There is no doubt it stops absolutely loads of muck that otherwise would go though into later stages but I can also visibly see particles getting past it. More area and thickness of K1 might improve the situation.

I have a couple of improvement plans to go at. First, I am going to get the 'tray' welded higher up. This will in turn increase the thickness of K1 below it.

If I am still dissapointed there is another alternative for all us one piece multibay owners which uses a lot less stainless. A perforated disk in the bottom (like Gazza's for example) with a tray like mine that goes the full way across the vortex.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ted,

So hows the pond doing and the new filter mods as they have had some time to settle down now :?: :?: :?:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Hi Gazza. Well I modded the static K1 'tray' to lift it up 50mm which in turn increased the thickness of K1 below. This is working very well to remove solids but I was still dissapointed with the fines I could see that were being pulled through.

Seeing that the brushes were more or less clean I have removed them and put a couple of sacks, one alfagrog and one flocor in the narrow chamber to slow the water down. On top of this I put a piece of fine filter wool and 24 hours later it was totally covered in gunge and the pond had cleared considerably. I have been offered a second hand hydro clean to add to the system - do any members use these? And what do you think?

Everything seems to be going OK but I now need to sort out heating and covers. I have also been offered a full boiler, stat and exchanger system in the next couple of weeks so looks like the cheque book will be back again!
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ted,

OK so some fines are still getting through so could you put more K1 in or how about slowing the flow what pump are you using as perhaps its pulling through to quickly :?:

When i first built my pond on the main filtration i had a Sequence 1/6 and all worked by i was using matting and brushes as a mechanical stage and although i had nice clean water i still had a high TDS and some fines.So when i converted to static K1 i removed the pump and installed a Sequence 750 and it works a treat and the water don't look bad either :wink: