Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

PROTIEN SKIMMER

Post by kimr »

Hi All
Well thank's to everyone for the idea of the Protien Skimmer and to Kayoss for sending me some detailed drawings.......and yes I have made one and it is at this minute in the pond working like a treat. Pictures, you wont like this one because I didn't. I was taking photos of step by step and on the very last photo the camera broke coming up with card error and there is nothing we can do to stop it from saying that, it wont even let me down load the photos I did take. So I will get some of the completed protien skimmer and show you how well it work's.

I used 2 airstones to start with and with in 2 hours it had filled a bucket with water, so I adjusted the airstones and now it is just foam and the bucket is just over half full in coming up 24 hours. The only equiptment I had was the solvent weld and the air, and in total it cost £35 to make, and that was because I had to buy 3m length of 4" pipe, so compared to the cost of buying a protien skimmer pennies. I will try and get some photos a.s.a.p but I wanted to let you know that thank's to you guys I now have a protien skimmer and it is working :D :D :D :D
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Well done Kim, you must have a pic of it working... :wink:
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

Hi Kim ,

What did you find to use as a reducing cone on the top?
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

pics please kim ....love to see it
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Well done Kim!

Glad to hear you've got it adjusted and working well so quickly.

Cheers

Bob

PS If you're as good with PCs as you obviously are at DIY, will you post the more detailed drawing in case it will help anyone else (I've not learned to post files yet).

Bob
Big John
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Big John »

Detailled sketch please - dying to know hoe you reduced from the 4" pipe.
mekoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by mekoi »

Big John wrote:Detailled sketch please - dying to know hoe you reduced from the 4" pipe.
Big John

You can use PET bottle(coke plastic bottle 2L). You cut it just where the lable is to give you approx 4" dia. So you'll have like a funnel. Then you just cut where the cap is to suit the 40mm pipe. I used silicon glue to stick them together :)
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi
Thank's for the comment's I have been busy this weekend fitting a new UV but the protien skimmer is still working well and I will get some photos sorted and I will try and post the more detailed drawing that Kayoss sent me.
The funnel type thing in the middle of the 2 T-Boss' looked just like that and the on the reciept is a 5065 adaptor but I have rung the company up and they have told me it is a 4" to Boss adaptor then in the top of that you put solvent weld a 2" solvent boss and hey presto it is ready for the 2" pipe. The adaptor cost £4.71 and the 2" boss cost £1.64 but you have to add V.A.T on top. If anyone want's me to get one of the adaptors let me and then I can post it to you now problem. I will try and sort the photos today.
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

a 5065 adaptor? whats one of those???? :? :? :?
come on kim we need pictures!! :D
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

The more detailed drawing I sent Kim is an Excel file - if anyone knows how to post such a file on here, will they tell me how to do it or send me an email address so that I can send it to them and they can post it.

Bob
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

You could do a screenshot if attaching the file is a problem. I would like the details as well so if you mail to me I will see what I can do to convert and post it.
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

come on then mail it to me and i'll slap it on the board.....

still don't know what a 5065 is?
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

OK here is the picture

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... onator.JPG[/img]
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

well i've built one of these air powered protein thingys and no matter how much air or how low in the water i put it i just can't get it to produce any foam!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
does this mean the pond is void of the neccessary stuff or what?
mekoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by mekoi »

macaws fly wrote:well i've built one of these air powered protein thingys and no matter how much air or how low in the water i put it i just can't get it to produce any foam!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
does this mean the pond is void of the neccessary stuff or what?
From experienced since I built mine I don't get any more foam too, so I'm assuming either my pond or your pond has very low DOC or could be zero DOC :?

Let's wait what the rest thinks :wink: