Go on, have a laugh - you know you want to. Blue Peter time

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Big John
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Big John »

Gazza, as I said in my earlier post. I need to make some time to muck out the shed, there is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much junk in there...
[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d38/sludg ... IM0463.jpg[/img]
(you can also see why the camera is going for repair)
And that's just in front of the door. There's heaps of stuff to the left, out of sight of the camera. :oops:
(Just under the grey stack'n'store is my Blue Peter fishing basket.
Old pop crate with the inners removed, lid off a twin tub rescued from stream next to canal, sheet of ply, couple of hinges & foam'plastic canvas from old chair also rescued from stream.
Cost - pennies
Comfort - max
lifespan - 34 years & still going strong :D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Well it looks like you need a bit of a clean up :shock: :D

This is what mine started out like and what its like now :wink: i much prefer to store pond stuff and fish now lol :D :wink:

At the start the back part of the shed where the pumps and stuff will go:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1340.jpg[/img]

Some new ply and some electrics start to go in:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1347.jpg[/img]

The first Pump and pipe work goes in:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1350.jpg[/img]

The second pump and a bit more pipe work:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1352.jpg[/img]

The waste pump from the vortex drains is next on the left:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1361.jpg[/img]

Then come the boiler:

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1387.jpg[/img]

Then i added a large TT and a 500gln QT Tank lol no wonder i have trouble getting in there :lol: :lol:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Because I have pushed my luck with the pond size and I am up against the boundary I have little room for anything.

The only thing I have is the kids play shed at the back but it isn't very big and is above the pond so will increase the head I have to go to. It is currently full of kids toys though.

What I really need is a fancy feature that is also filtration.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Ted you could always have a TT and then just conceal it with bamboo or plants or something :idea:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

The mere mention of a stack of boxes (or worse, the wheelie bin in the hedge in the field behind us) gets me a very bad look. I am thinking feature :) so you actually do want to look at it. I have an idea but will save it for my own Blue Peter thread.
Big John
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Big John »

fatherted wrote:The mere mention of a stack of boxes (or worse, the wheelie bin in the hedge in the field behind us) gets me a very bad look. I am thinking feature :) so you actually do want to look at it. I have an idea but will save it for my own Blue Peter thread.
Can't wait for the ideas Ted, I'm toying with clearing out the shed (lovely job for a hot sunny day in a South-facing garden) or chucking up a pergola to provide some much-needed shade. The OH is already wittering about the stack of joists I rescued from a house conversion. I've got som 8" x 4" timbers for the uprights and some 6" x 3" timbers for the top (although I will probably rip them down to 3" x 3" - after I've denailled them all).
Thing is, this needs to be a temporary structure so it's all going to be bolted together - just in case SHE (who must be obeyed) sees a house she fancies.
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

ted ... wheelie bin? or tt?in the hedge, sounds like a rescue job ....aint it funny how you look differently at things when you keep koi .
Cashybai
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Cashybai »

Hiya all,
I'm after re-doing the filtration on my skimmer feed, at the moment I've got a settlement tank/vege filter kind of bodge up thats doing nowt in particular. I want to rip it out, and replace it with either a cylindrical or square tank about 18" dia/square, approx 2 1/2ft tall, may well end up running two in series. Anybody seen any suitable tank/containers in their travels? Did think about a mini sized wheelie bin, but they're about 18" too tall for my part raised pond..

Ta, :roll:
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

cashy ...plastic dustbin??????...multitude of uses
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

I have had my eye on this abandoned wheelie bin for over 6 months now. The problem is that until I get approval for it I won't drag it into my back garden because if I do and then later have an (enforced) change of mind it will be my rubbish which I can't just chuck under a hedge.

I keep telling the kids not to pick up rubbish etc. as they will then have a responsibility to dispose of it properly.

Neil - if you get something that is just right but a little bit too tall a jigsaw will soon take care of it :D
Cashybai
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Cashybai »

Ted,
I know, just me being lazy and wanting something with a nice rolled top edge to it.... :roll:
Big John
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Big John »

A hot air paint stripper will soon roll the top edge :D
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Hi John
Ive seen Gazzas set up and considering its only a bin it really does seem to work and if the little beauties I saw in the tank are anything to go by it works well, a lot depends on the media in it. Gazza has BHM which is SO expensive but when u see the results I recon its well worth it. AMAZING stuff.

Stuart
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Stu,
You should see them now mate :shock: i had a great time last year growing them on i just couldn't resist doing it again :D and hope you have had as much enjoyment with your QT system :D