Ted's Pond upgrade

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Skimmer position

Post by dave a »

Ted
I would move your skimmer position to the bottom left hand corner about 9" away from the left hand wall the reason for this is due to the splay on the left hand side surface debris will be kicked out slightly and will possibly miss the skimmer, the other alternative is to position it adjacent the splay on the left hand wall just at the change of direction.

Your pipe returns look fine to me however I would have them at different levle, one about 2'-0" off the bottom and the other 18" down from water level you will still get a good circulation in the pond and trust you are using an aeriated bottom drain. Rember to position the pipes at least 3" away from side walls to get best flow as to close to the walls will produce drag along the wall and not give the best results.

Hope this helps if not call me
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Thanks for the comments Dave. Have I assumed the two suggested skimmer positions correctly?

[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/vr6t ... ayout6.jpg[/img]

The one in the bottom corner would be in an existing wall so I am not sure if I could cut it away to accomodate a skimmer - I will have to have a good look. It would be a good option as it would be hidden from general view.
dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

skimmer

Post by dave a »

Spot on ted they are both good positions so either will site will do whatever is best and easiest for you to install
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ted,

Looks like you've had some good information form the guys :D

I have two returns one which is about 4ft down and one which is about 2ft down and it seems to work fine :wink:

Glad you have added the air dome you won't be disappointed :D
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Seems bottom drain air feeds are not as simple as just choosing which manufacturer. I am also faced with a dazzling array of options for how to actually get my air there.

First choice I have to make is whether the pipe running to the drain is full off water with an airline inside or is it actually an airline in its own right.

Which system did you choose for your ponds?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ted,

OK here is my option and the way mine was done.I have run a 3/4 pressure pipe down to the drain and then there is a boss which is stuck into the hole in the bottom drain with a small bit of pipe which comes off the boss and onto the bottom drain.The 3/4 pipe goes all the way to my shed and then fits directly onto the air pump as the elbow which comes with the Hi- Blow air pump fits neatly inside the 3/4 pipe.

In doing this i never have any water inside the pipe only air and you must remember whichever way you do it make sure the air pump is above the water line and not only just above so if the pump does give up of go off in a power cut it doesn't get flooded.

Make sure you get a good air dome like the spindrifter and get the one that can take loads of air as some only take 25lts (or used to) :D

Hope this is of some help Ted and hows the pond coming along....we want pics....we want pics :wink:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Thanks for the info Gazza. So, you have gone for the air filled line option which I was also erring towards. It apparantly comes with an adapter to put in the end of the pressure pipe to convert to a hose if required. I fear the water filled option was going to cost me with valves and connecting to waste pipe.

The dig is done except for a little bit of levelling in the base and trimming back of the foundation. I have held off putting on a pic until this stage is complete. I have unfortunately fallen short of my depth ambitions however. I can't afford another skip and my wife will most definitely not spend another weekend barrowing so it will be about 4 and a half feet deep.
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Well I managed to come to deal with my wife and we got another skip. It has got a bit deeper and a bit longer, the filter house extension is dug and the channel for the drainage pipe. But that is definitely it for the digging - three skips and we won't be getting another.

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/232 ... re_026.jpg[/img]

Next thing to sort is the level of the bottom drain. Where should the top be in relation to the anticipated concrete level?
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

if you can't go any deeper then you can always try a couple of extra courses of bricks on top...

nice hole you got there!
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Wall already there and runs around much of the garden and over a raised feature so no mods there.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ted,

Love the picture did the dog help with the digging :?: :?:

Go on one more skip wont hurt...well apart from the digging but you love it when its all done :D :wink:
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Go on, Dig dig dig
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

It's no good, I won't be persuaded. We simply cannot do another skip. That is three now and there was a hole there before we started! It has got very difficult to get the stuff over the wall and into the barrow.

The dog did pretty much what she is doing in the phot Gazza - nothing! I tried to coax her into the hole for a picture but she was having none of it.

Found time to demolish the side wall of the filter housing tonight.
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/fatherted/233 ... re_036.jpg[/img]
This is to allow me to extend up to the edge of the pond as there was very little room in there before. I only built those walls in June last year!
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Looking good Ted it will all start coming together and your be sitting on the side with a nice cool beer :wink:
fatherted
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by fatherted »

Not for a bit yet Gazza!