fin rot

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

fin rot

Post by amanda »

Hi guys got a problem in q tank noticed two with eroding fins checked water parameters and all ok PH is as usual high as i am in essex so its at 8.2
No readings of nitrite or ammonia on test kit
Though the water is frothy so perhaps too much protein soi have change50% of the water and am slowly topping up one of the two is not looking good as its on its side
what to treat with CT Malachite and salt? temp is at 12c so abit low to treat but i can raise temp. though worried it may speed up the infection.
Duncan where can i still buy your book as my old one is all in bits now its been read so many times.
Amanda
Airlite
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: fin rot

Post by Airlite »

Hi Amanda, are you able to post a clear photo/s to help? I only know what I've read in Duncan's book and it seems fin infections/fin rot can be tricky to treat. Hopefully he'll see this and answer in a bit of detail but a picture paints a thousand words and would help others like me recognise the signs. Hope you get it sorted. M
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Amanda, you can buy a new copy of Duncan's book through this site, just click the Koi Quest logo at the top of any forum page and it will take you to the site's index page with a picture of Duncan's book in the centre. Just follow the links from there.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Amanda you should use my MFR1 ironically it stands for mouth and fin rot 1

it was developed for fin rot and mouth rot

yes my book is available on the main site click on the cover picture in the middle of the home page

www.koiquest.co.uk
amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by amanda »

Bit long for replying sorry guys
Sadly the two passed away as usual the best in the tank. the goshiki died the next day.
I did another big water change and added some ct to lower the bacterial count.
i scraped a few to check after i noticed a couple shaking their heads and found both gill and body fluke in quite large numbers.
i have treated for that so now at last i think they are on the road to recovery.
Lessons learnt check for the parasites if every thing else is ok! :oops: