Health problem

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Ray stokes
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Health problem

Post by Ray stokes »

Hi i need help koi lying on its side at bottom pond scrapes was clean water prams fine any ideas thanksray
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Health problem

Post by Duncan »

hi Ray

what's been going on with this koi any signs of disease and marks etc

and what's your pH and KH? how many fish and are any others displaying any signs of stress or behaving peculiar ?

also how old and big is the fish? are there any signs of bloating or swelling?

dunc
Ray stokes
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Ray stokes »

Hi Duncan thanks for quick reply, found tric with scrape it was flicking treated pond with potassium its 2years old no swelling or bloating it's the only one it's just taken to the bottom .ph is Middle range and kh is 7 drops before turning yellow sorry I don't know correct terms kind regards ray
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi ray

the correct term for your KH is 7 German degrees of hardness written as 7GDH or 7 x 18 = 126 ppm ( parts per million ) there are 18 PPM in one degree

sadly it sounds like your fish has an internal problem maybe swim bladder issues

if you have a quarantine i may suggest transfering the fish there and gradually raising the temperature to roughly mid 20's add some salt and see how it goes

there is not a really good treatment for bladder issues but this method on the odd occasion can bear fruit

dunc
Ray stokes
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Ray stokes »

Thanks Duncan i have put it in q tank and raising temp slowly i have salted at 2oz per gallon over 2 days ,do you have any ideas what causes swim bladder problems regards ray