Discolored Hi Scales

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Chimera1955
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Discolored Hi Scales

Post by Chimera1955 »

I have a 5 year old Torazo Kohaku that has developed 5 or 6 yellowish/tan scales below the midline that used to be solid red. What could cause this and can it be reversed or treated?
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Discolored Hi Scales

Post by Manky Sanke »

I would say that this is most likely to be a colour change that's genetic. Koi colours evolve as they age and I don't know of any treatment that will reverse a genetic change but you could try feeding one of the colour enhancing foods in case there is a deficiency in the diet you are feeding.

Foods that have a high carotenoid content such as beta-carotene, astaxanthin or canthaxanthin are reputed to intensify beni (red). In nature, koi eat aquatic insects that are high in carotenoids and store the pigments in their chromatophors (colour cells). Foods that have added beta-carotene are a source of red pigments.

BTW I have deleted your duplicate post to keep any posts on this thread all in one place.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Discolored Hi Scales

Post by Duncan »

hi

I agree with Syd almost certainly genetic meaning the beni was/ is not strong, I would prepare for more colour going the same way
I bought a kohaku years ago for breeding from yumekoi and this fish ended up a complete muji
unfortunately its a common trait with go sanke which says buy a young fish for the red and bet on the black as "red goes and black shows" is the age old saying

dunc