Argulus (fish lice) Parazin P

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

inquisitiveeye
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Argulus (fish lice) Parazin P

Post by inquisitiveeye »

Evening folks,,,
fairly new to the koi hobby. I have a question and couldn't find any related posts , so hope you dont mind a simpletons question ,
Ive treated with Parazin P yesterday , so was wondering how long im going to have to wait approx till they(adult lice) start dying ?
I realize it takes two to three weeks to kill all the individual life cycle stages as the eggs etc are protected in a mucas coating,, im just want to know roughly if anyone has used this treatment how long till the adult lice start dropping ? if in fact its at this stage the Parazin p takes effect ,, ?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Argulus (fish lice) Parazin P

Post by Duncan »

hi

the active ingredient in this is dimilin although it has to be said its pretty weak at just 0.4%

the way it works is its a chitin inhibitor. chitin is what makes up the exo skeleton of anchor worm and lice, its exactly the same as a prawn shell.

so the way it works is just like a crab the louse and anchor worm have to shed their skin or shell to grow and a new one takes its place what this does is stops it producing a new shell of chitin so when it sheds the shell there is nothing to take its place

this will effect the juveniles first since they have to replace there shell faster than adults to grow but it will get the adults as well but it takes a bit longer because they don't shed the skin as fast and often

now the bad news Dimilin is outlawed in this country so to get around it there is not a lot of it in parazin p so because of this I have my doubts it will work

if it does not contact me

duncan