ICC Dilemma

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Coelophysis
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

ICC Dilemma

Post by Coelophysis »

Hi Duncan,

After two doses of ICC, one of my best kohaku has now risen to the surface of the pond and isolated itself in the corner. I've scraped the fish and the costia appear to have multiplied out of all proportion. Do I carry on with the ICC or do I resort to m & f to try to save the fish with the short sharp shock tactic? I feel that the next 12 - 18 hours will be crucial for this koi. On the plus side, the body reddening that it had has improved.

Mark
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ICC Dilemma

Post by Duncan »

did you salt up?
it does take four doses that's what users report
Coelophysis
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Coelophysis »

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for getting back to me.

No, I didn't use salt. I know you advised that ICC works better with salt, but I didn't realise it would make a significant difference to its efficacy. I don't currently have any salt so if I continue with the ICC treatment it will be without salt. If I revert back to m&f is it safe to do so immediately after a water change? The ICC third dose should have been put in last night so was last put in the pond on Tuesday evening. All that said, I would prefer to persevere with the ICC, but I'm concerned the kohaku may get worse before it gets better. Another option would be to dip/short term bath the kohaku, but using what? My experience of pp is that it isn't effective against costia and I'm not sure if you can give an m&f bath. I have CT, but again this is a very hard water area so not terribly effective.

Cheers,
Mark
Drakoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Drakoi »

I dont know what Dunc will respond but if I were you, I would salt and continue with ICC. If not mistaken FMG should not be used with salt at all as it could kill the fish, but I am not 100% sure.

However, lets hear what the teacher may say.
Coelophysis
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Coelophysis »

Hi Drakoi,

I haven't used salt and I don't have any and I don't know where I would get enough to dose a 5,500 gallon pond this side of the weekend so using salt in the short term isn't an option.

Cheers,
Mark
Drakoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Drakoi »

where you located?

I found salt without iodine in a place where they sell pool filters, pumps and staff, maybe give them a call.
Coelophysis
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Coelophysis »

Hi Drakoi,

Bristol.

Mark
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin