Sick Five Year Female Showa

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

tinker tom
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Sick Five Year Female Showa

Post by tinker tom »

I have a five year old female showa that has stopped eating and is spending most of her time on the bottom of the pond for the last week. I examined her three days ago and found a bulbous protrusion at her vent that is between 3/4" and 1" in diameter. Pictures attached. The protrusion was medium soft. I have quarantined the fish at a .38 salt treatment for 3 days with no apparent change. I have attempted to extract any fish poop through the vent with thumb and index finger, squeezing in front of the vent, moving toward the tail, with no success. It is appearing more obvious that there is a blockage of the vent and wondered if antibiotics might be the only solution to save this fish. Any help in diagnosing this problem with possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
koi 3.jpg
koi 3.jpg (7.45 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
koi 2.jpg
koi 2.jpg (7.9 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
koi 1.jpg
koi 1.jpg (8.89 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sick Five Year Female Showa

Post by Duncan »

hi

this is a prolapsed vent and is tough one for you as there are no chemical treatments that can correct this

you can only try gently trying to push the vent back into position with the emphasis on gentle

duncan