Carp jumped out ..still not very happy

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

joanne2002
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Carp jumped out ..still not very happy

Post by joanne2002 »

Hi everyone.....i have been registered on this site for a couple of years but not used many times over the years....

Just set up our 1st trickle in / out for a way of removing ammonia which has built up to 0.50 ish,
Our big ghost carp/ koi jumped out last week after we were netting a couple to check something on them and normally never spooked. He wasnt found for a while as the other half was cleaning filters etc, he had some scales missing and a some bleeding .A quick clean up with some iodine was the emergency treatment and 2 hours in the recovery tub with oxygen.Was ok and back in the pond which we put virkon in as we thought it would reduce any bacteria in the pond
Hence....water testing and now trickle set up
He is not on top form still and this happened friday...but we are hoping the change of water will help ?? But temps are now down a bit since this now 10 and were 12 c before.... we like to use rapid health/anarex bio for a bit of help during the year and that is to be a minimum 10-12 c ....
Will the trickle keep temps down ?
None of them eating well even though they come over and beg..( did come really fast for bread even the ghostie !!)
Is it warm enough for prawns yet ...there favourite ?? BUT
they were eating castors and maggotts unused from a fishing trip the night before he jumped..
Thanks
Jo

they
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Carp jumped out ..still not very happy

Post by Duncan »

JO

Im really sorry I missed this one, please excuse me to many balls in the air at once

no a nice slow trickle in and out should not cool the water, plus the water coming through underground pipes is generally warmer at this time of year

prawns are great at any temp trust me on this if they will take them they are fine. however casters and maggots not so good you cant control the bacteria on them so that's a no no

just holla if you need more clarification ~

and sorry once again very remiss of me

duncan