keeping injectables safe and sterile

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

keeping injectables safe and sterile

Post by Duncan »

somebody asked me about sterility of antibiotics once opened to extract an injection and I thought that a lesson would be good here as well

obviously keep things as clean as possible is number one

use a new needle every time never ever use a needle that's been used before in a koi that's a sure way to contaminate your injectable
you should always keep new needles and syringes

next and this is important wipe the top of the vial with a sterile wipe before you puncture the top with your new syringe

next draw a vacuum inside the bottle, don't allow air to enter the bottle

last but not least refrigerate or freeze when not in use, defrost to extract some antibiotic and refreeze when enough has been drawn off

if it goes straw coloured( kind of like weak urine) dump it, it's gone!
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: keeping injectables safe and sterile

Post by Manky Sanke »

Thanks Duncan,

That's good advice. There is contradictory advice about expiry dates for injectable antibiotics, I've seen statements on websites that say they mustn't be used after that date and other statements that they can be safely used much later. Are there any guidelines or does that depend on the particular antibiotic?
Senna955
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Senna955 »

I checked with the vet who prescribed my Baytril after my local koi shop said NEVER use beyond 28 days. The vet said it would be fine and would go on for a good while yet! As he gave me the last in his vile I peeled the prescription label off to find that it was first used in November 14. All 6 fish that have had a 5 injection course are still alive. 1 is not in great shape - Duncan has seen the pics some raised scales on its flank. This fish is on a second double dose course.
anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by anne »

Leaflet for Baytril says not to be frozen! Please be aware if Baytril is keept in the fridge, crystals can form in the product. My vet says store in roomtemperature. If a product is stored the wrong way or used after date of expire there is always a risk quality is not 100 %. In other words, you may not get full effect of the treatment.