Gill Flukes

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

bigmel
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Gill Flukes

Post by bigmel »

Hi All

I,ve been plagued with body and gill flukes for 6 months or more and they seem very resistant to all treatments .

Tried fluebenol 5 % at 3 x the dose at least 4 times since August , 2 treatments of Duncs prazi , 2 treatments of the fluke solve and i can still find the odd fluke .

The koi flash a lot or i would not be to bothered by a few flukes .

Found more again last week a mix of body and gill flukes .

I have just used fluebenol 5 % at 3 x the dose with acetone so when would i treat again to get rid of the gill fluke eggs that will hatch ?

I want to nail these early this year fed up with flukes :evil:
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gill Flukes

Post by Duncan »

hi mate

sorry to hear you cant shift them you have used everything that's available at the present time what did you mix my stuff with to dissolve it before dispersal in the pond? you could up the dose on this too!

in theory at any rate you cant overdose with flubenol so would give it a week and go again, just a thought how old is the flub?

another thought is try supaverm I got a feeling that will shift the buggers

in the mean time check your water quality if its off in any way you will struggle to shift any parasite

dunc
bigmel
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by bigmel »

Duncan wrote:hi mate

sorry to hear you cant shift them you have used everything that's available at the present time what did you mix my stuff with to dissolve it before dispersal in the pond? you could up the dose on this too!

in theory at any rate you cant overdose with flubenol so would give it a week and go again, just a thought how old is the flub?

another thought is try supaverm I got a feeling that will shift the buggers

in the mean time check your water quality if its off in any way you will struggle to shift any parasite

dunc
Hi Duncan thanks for the reply .

I used a small amount of vodka to dissolve your stuff and shook the nuts off it in a bottle mixed with water .
The water is spot on and fluebenol in date , will go again this week with the flubenol and see what the scrapes show up then will get some suparverm if still present .

Cheers
bigmel
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by bigmel »

Just to update another 3 x the dose has gone in .

Will scrape at the weekend and post the results
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

I have had recurring problems with gill flukes every season for the past 3 years. Always treated with two x Flubenol. Always to return about 6 weeks later. Again treated with flubenol and so on so on. Symptoms would disappear during the colder months without problems. I have always been looking for some reason why and what is triggering this off. The only thing I can see is mainly the p.H fluctuating. Anyway Last dose I changed and tried Duncans Prazi together with a full dose of malachite & formalin. I did this twice and as a result, Nothing has appeared so far, almost 6 month on. Fingers crossed as things begin to warm up.( and the p.H. starts to fluctuate again)I have No more problems again.Best Regards Dave
bigmel
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by bigmel »

Hi Dave

Thanks for the input :D

I cant use mg&f as i have sturgeon in there :(

I scraped yesterday and the flukes are still there in numbers , only scraped one koi and found 3-4 flukes (this time body flukes) .

The fluebenol is a complete waste of time i,ve now used 3x the dose twice a week apart and yesterday i used the last of the fluebenol at 2.5 dose , so a total of three hits in around 10 days .

Will scrape again nxt weekend

Looks like its superverm or Telmin next .
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

bigmel wrote:Hi Dave

Thanks for the input :D

I cant use mg&f as i have sturgeon in there :(

I scraped yesterday and the flukes are still there in numbers , only scraped one koi and found 3-4 flukes (this time body flukes) .

The fluebenol is a complete waste of time i,ve now used 3x the dose twice a week apart and yesterday i used the last of the fluebenol at 2.5 dose , so a total of three hits in around 10 days .

Will scrape again nxt weekend

Looks like its superverm or Telmin next .
I have also used Telmin with some success. Superverm is also very good but lately I can,t ever get my hands on it. If I have any more trouble this year I might try Temlin again as it is very cheap to use.Not sure what Telmin or superverm has on sturgeon. If not perhaps you could try Prazi on its own, but again not sure if it can be used with sturgeon. Perhaps Duncan might be able to clarify. Best luck with this Dave
bigmel
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by bigmel »

Cheers Dave

Telmin and superverm are ok with sturgeon but i cant buy either over the internet :(

I still have flukes (body flukes on scrapes) and used flukesolve twice since my last post , still there on scrapes :shock:

The flukesolve worked on my goldfish tank 100 % but not on the pond .

My gallons are correct and i over dose .

The only other product i can try off the shelve is columbo Lernex .

Its a mixture of Nitroscanate , flubendazole and praziquantel so might do the trick .

Everyone i speak to Duncs stuff works 100 % and so dose the more costly fluke solve but not for me ......i have no idea why :evil:

Perhaps i will get more success as the temps get higher ?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Big Mel

the trouble with flukesolve is its only 50% prazi, no idea what the other 50% is or why they chose to go 50%

mine is 100% purity needs mixing with formaldehyde to dissolve, in fact you can mix it with a single dose of formaldehyde and malachite green for a real big kick at the buggers

I have trialled this protocol and it works

dunc
bigmel
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by bigmel »

Hi Dunchan thanks for the reply .

At long last i seem to have got rid of the buggers with the Lernex .

I had read about mg&f mixed with fluke solve for a big kick but i cant use formaline because of the sturgeon .

The next time i get flukes i will try your pure stuff again .

Thanks for every ones help
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

I would not do the FMG trick with flukesolve, like I say its only 50% and there may be a reaction with what ever the other 50% may be

I did trails with 100% prazi and FMG at the same time, in fact I over dosed everything to be safe and it was. You cannot apply my findings to flukesolve because its a very different animal. So please don't do it assuming its one and the same as my trail because it is not like I say there is 50% of something undeclared in flukesolve that may have a huge negative impact when mixing with FMG

ill be very annoyed if folks are saying Duncan has trialled flukesolve with FMG and its ok because I have not trailled it and its not OK as far as im concerned. It maybe a case of people reading my trail putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5

dunc
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

That's a very common form of arithmetic in the koi world Duncan,

People often read what they want to read from a post or article and it never ceases to amaze me how some manage to reinterpret what has been said. That wouldn't be too bad if they kept the muddled idea to themselves but these incorrect interpretations are then repeated. By the time that has been picked up, posted and reposted on a few forums, a wrong idea has become yet another "fact".
bigmel
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by bigmel »

Ok guys understood .....i made a mistake and said "fluke solve" instead of prazi my mistake :oops:

Only read it on here no where else sorry for the confusion my bad .
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

not a problem

dunc