What protocol to follow

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

What protocol to follow

Post by StuW »

Hi Duncan, in a bit of a quandary mate.
Got a Ai Goromo in the pond which is suffering from dropsy ( had 2 go down with it already this year but had no other problems, ulcers, fin rot.... Tec which is a puzzle in itself) but is in the pond which is not heated. Q/T is up and running but around 20oc with a 800mm long sturgeon swimming around I it. Normal protocol would be to move from pond to Q/T salt...up to .09% over a week. C/T in large doses and heat up to around 23/4 0c.
With the huge diff in. Temp I don't think this is an option but is C/T ing the pond a realistic protocol in these tems. Pond is 2000 gal. PH s 8.4. If this was a way forwards what dose rate would you recommend.
Also any idea why I keep getting dropsy but no other issues? Also would A/Bs help in anyway with dropsy at these temps, at any temp?
Stuart
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What protocol to follow

Post by Duncan »

Stu

C/T on its own is not going to do much and you should have time to drop the temp in the quarantine so my course of action would be lower the Quarantine temp 3c per day till they are within 3 degrees of each other then transfer the koi to the quarantine and begin raising the temp by the same rate 3 c each day at the same time bring the salinity up to 0.9%, the koi will take a 3C jump in the up direction easy its coming down the presents more of a problem
when you have the temp at its lowest you could transfer the sturgeon to the pond or leave it in there your choice, also if the koi cant wait the couple of days it takes to get the temps similar it likely wont make it anyway
as dropsy is caused by a kidney issue and antibiotics are really hard on kidney its not a great idea to use most antibiotics but a general anti like baytril should be fine mate

if you need anything just shout up

dunc
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Any idea why I might keep getting dropsy mate. All water parameters are good and no. Other health problems at all. Had 3fish go down it this year and struggling to understand why.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

theres no medical reason connecting the three

it could be a strain of bacteria in the pond but I doubt it somehow

dunc