injection sites

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

injection sites

Post by Duncan »

As some of you may know I don't do IM injections any more there is good reason
1, you get blow back through the muscle as it constricts, what this means is as you withdraw the hypodermic its followed out of the hole you just made with at least half of your AB dose rendering what little you put in useless.
2 you can shred and spilt the muscle causing a really bad reaction and septic condition in the muscle
3. I know many people use the ball muscle at the base of the peck fin but as this is such a small area it can cause such a reaction it can quite literally rot the ball muscle away

last but not least if you go IM the kidney starts to filter the antibiotic out straight away, where as if you go IP you get a shunt around the kidney one time only so this gives you one circuit of the body with the AB for free before the kidney starts filtering it out a bonus pass

also there are other ways into the abdominal cavity which are less traumatic if it worries you putting a needle into the stomach
but trust me the chances of you pricking the gut are minimal as you role the koi upside down the gut drops away from the skin so you are injecting into a small cavity , Plus if your doing CPE injections the tummy is the only place you can get it in

dunc