sleeping sicknes

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

sleeping sicknes

Post by Duncan »

Dave asked about sleeping sickness in koi carp and lisa of cuttlebrook put this link up with the following text

Histopathological and electron microscopy studies on sleepy disease of koi Cyprinus carpio koi in Japan.

Authors

Miyazaki T1, Isshiki T, Katsuyuki H.
Author information

Journal

Dis Aquat Organ. 2005 Jul 18;65(3):197-207.

Affiliation

Abstract

Koi sleepy disease (KSD) usually occurs when koi Cyprinus carpio koi are taken from nursing earthen ponds and placed in cement-lined ponds containing fresh water in spring and autumn in Japan. We transfered koi from an earthen pond to tanks containing fresh water and 0.5 % salt water in an attempt to replicate KSD and prevent the onset of KSD, respectively, in the laboratory. KSD broke out after 4 to 5 d, followed by mass mortality (76%: 95/125 fish) within 17 d, in the fresh water. Diseased fish died within a few days. Examination revealed enlarged cells in the respiratory epithelia of gill lamellae; hyperplasia of interlammellar epithelia resulted in clubbing of gill filaments, which caused hypoxia when severe. Electron microscopy showed that enlarged cells contained immature particles (416-450 nm diameter) or mature virions (333-400 x 400-413 nm) of a pox-like virus in the cytoplasm. Mature virions were transported to the periphery of the cells. Hepatocytes, renal tubular epithelial cells, muscle cells of the lateral musculature and cardiac muscle cells were cloudy with mitochondrial degeneration. PCR assay using primer sets for a pox-like virus causing 'carp edema' determined that KSD-virus is the same as the carp edema virus. None of the koi held in 0.5% salt water showed sleepy disease during a 25 d experimental period; PCR assay revealed no KSD-virus in gills of koi in the same treatment.

on the back of that given that they are pointing the finger at edema virus I have this which reports That a virus that apparently came out of Japan first reported in the 1970s called Carp Edema Virus (CEV) that's showing up around the world. (page 32 of this article http://www.koiquest.co.uk/FFN15.pdf

dunc
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: sleeping sicknes

Post by Davej »

Interesting.. Seems to be pointing to a hardness change / stress type trigger.

Dave
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

yes dave for me the way I heard it it was always water hardness that set it off but I cannot confirm this as for my part its just hearsay, I have done no personal research into it

maybe next winter ill look into it, im fully booked this winter :o
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Duncan wrote:yes dave for me the way I heard it it was always water hardness that set it off but I cannot confirm this as for my part its just hearsay, I have done no personal research into it

maybe next winter ill look into it, im fully booked this winter :o

Well the good thing is that the fry that are the stimulation for the enquiry and fit and healthy and have been raised in moderately hard water :)

Dave
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »

Duncan I attended a part 2 Lecture/Presentation given by Jos Aben of Yoshikigoi, & part of the talk was given by Ralf Schweda who discussed sleeping sickness, most of it was over my head, from a screen show of various culture slides discussing his findings & theories, but that might be a worthwhile contact for you? The show was @ JKC In Henlow Beds, & they may be able to put you in touch, if it's of interest to you?
Thanks
Errol
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi errol

thanks for the heads up, I found him on the internet Team Schweda in Denmark I believe he messes with small animals and sells koi and koi food
you can get Google to translate the pages for you

dunc
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »

Duncan
Yes that is him, he was very nervous in giving his first presentation in English, but he did very well, I am glad you at least have the chance to make a contact, with someone actively working in this field! Who knows you might create or find some synergy together, that would benefit us all, good luck?
Errol
:shock:
Silver Wolf
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Silver Wolf »

Duncan
A quick update team Schweda have posted on FB from Jos Aben's Yoshikigoi, from a few days with a German film crew? I have no idea what they filmed?
Cheers
Errol
anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by anne »

Hi, this is the latest report about CEV I've found on the internet. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1746-6148/11/114 As I understand it the sleeping behavior is not standard in all cases. In this report all fish in one of the ponds died without showing any symtoms at all!
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

thanks ill read later im just off down London when I get back that's some reading for me

ta!