IP Injection Site

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

blemmy
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

IP Injection Site

Post by blemmy »

Hi Everyone,

I recall reading somewhere in another thread that an antibiotic injection can be given IP into the 'crease' where the pelvic fin muscle joins the body. Could anyone please confirm that is the case and if it is - should the needle be inserted pointing back towards the tail rather than towards the 'open mouth' as in the case with an IM injection into the pelvic fin muscle itself?

Many thanks

Paul
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IP Injection Site

Post by Duncan »

hi Paul

yes it can this crease puts the needle into the pectoral girdle, aim the needle directly across the flank of the koi don't angle the needle up forward or backward, equally don't go in more than 1/4" as your not far away from the heart

your getting into advanced stuff now!

dunc
blemmy
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by blemmy »

Hi Duncan,

Sorry to be a bit thick on this one but I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'directly across the flank'?

Do you mean to insert the needle at a 90% angle to the side of the fish as if you were aiming to come our at the same point on the other side of the fish? Would you have any pictures of the process please?

Thanks

Paul
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

yes you put it better than me

dunc