Supertab

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

axolo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Supertab

Post by axolo »

Any of you utilize it ? Supertab -> http://www.air-aqua.nl/nl_pages/nl_supe ... 6AruShH6-U

basically CLO2. (using it 1 mg/ 1000 l )

Thinking it would destroy the biofilter too, but it seems like the colonies there are so strong / repopulate so fast / ... that I don't measure any NH3 / N02 spikes...
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Supertab

Post by Duncan »

hi mate

sorry for the delay im only answering from work cuz my puter is capput

never used this and cant read what ever language that is dutch me thinks, i have heard of it and i can see i will have at some point to trial it but loads on at the moment

dunc
Dandj
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dandj »

There is a flag with the union jack on -hit that and it translates.
Is this similar to Virkon and Virasure???
ginboomerang
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by ginboomerang »

Dandj wrote:There is a flag with the union jack on -hit that and it translates.
Is this similar to Virkon and Virasure???
Done a quick Google, the price is eye watering. I'd hope for the cost it also removes shimmies, hikui and all known parasites.
axolo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by axolo »

Yea, like Virkon and Virasure I guesse. Altrough, I suppose, chemically different, it is used as disinfectant (by oxidation). Our local koi docter prescribes it to a lot of clients.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

£1000 as near as make no difference for 300 tabs at koi water barn

I don't see this taking off

dunc
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

I found the patent for it which originates in the USA and it was used in Japan to stop the spread of KHV in Japanese style koi shows, a well know USA KHV researcher from pine buff tested it and found it did not work for that purpose .
so all in all pretty useless
axolo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by axolo »

KHV is a virus, it looks logic that it would not work against that (nor has it ever been promoted to me for that purpose).

But it is supposed to be effective against bacteria (external), parasites, and to lower the bacterial pressure (by oxidation...).
Our koi-veterinarian advices it to us (use monthly or bi-weekly, preventive), to use in the koi selling-tanks.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Axolo

basically there are two types of virus one is easy to destroy the other not
the difference is one has a capsid the other does not , in short one has a protective envelope called a capsid the other does not

now the one without does not have one because it has no need of one, because its virtually indestructible the other needs one because yes it needs it as it is very vulnerable

now guess which one KHV is? yup its the one with the envelope!

so let me assure you KHV virus particles in the water can be destroyed with chemicals such as chloramine T virasure and virkon, that said its a moot point because all you fish would have been exposed and infected anyway

which brings me back to the original point , if the learned professor discovered it can cope with KHV particles in the water there little chance of it being any good for much else

dunc
axolo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by axolo »

comprendo.
axolo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by axolo »

One more thing, when talking to a tab water employee, he told me that here we actually use CLO2 to chlorate the tab water. This is weird because there are many articles about de-chlorinating the tab water, and here a manufacturer actually promotes adding chlorate to the water.

Does the chlorate added to the tab water in you region is also in the +IV form or does you water agency opt for a more oxidating form? And how harmfull to koi is CL+IV in your opinion?
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

In the UK, the public tap water supply is kept sanitised and safe for human consumption by adding chlorine (Cl2) to it before it leaves the water supply authority. Some authorities also add ammonia to make chloramine which is only about half as efficient as chlorine as a sanitiser but stays in the water until it reaches domestic taps unlike chlorine which is volatile and gasses off easily which could leave the water supply unsanitised.

When we use tap water to fill or top up a koi pond, we are supposed to dechlorinate it. We typically do this with purifiers which are based on activated carbon or we dechlorinate the water with sodium thiosulphate crystals or proprietary products which are based on sodium thiosulphate.

The maximum tolerable value of chlorine for koi is 0.02 mg/L and the effect of low levels of chlorine on freshwater fish, such as koi, is to enter the bloodstream via the gills and combine with the haemoglobin to make methaemoglobin which cannot carry oxygen so the fish will be in danger of suffocating, even in well aerated water.

Methaemoglobinemia is commonly called "brown blood disease" and the effect, caused by exposure to chlorine is the same as the effect produced by exposure to high levels of nitrite.

Exposure to higher levels of chlorine in a koi pond, apart from causing methaemoglobinemia, would also cause burning to delicate tissue, such as gills, eyes and gut in the same way that our eyes burn if we swim in a pool that has been too heavily chlorinated.