neutering koi

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

axolo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

neutering koi

Post by axolo »

Hi,

Maybe I am looking into things who are already done before, but I was wondering if we could see if there is a possibility to neuter a koi. I would like to see the effect on the development of the body of a 'male', hoping it would improve.

I could look into removing/cutting the gonads surgically, but I was wondering if there are chemical neutering products ?

I read about aloe-vera being used for tilapia ;
http://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... WU&cad=rja

But for carp it seemed make they grow better but, the study had no indication of the effect on the gonads.
http://www.idosi.org/wjms/9%281%2913/9.pdf
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: neutering koi

Post by Duncan »

ill have to have a read of these one my puter problem are over

the problem as i see it is : i dont know and cant think of a chemical way of achieving this and the surgical route is a non starter although possible, these ain't some lousy pond mutts they cost thousands would you really want to carve up a koi that cost you all your spare cash for the year?? :D

dunc
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

I'm not opposed to neutering pets such as cats and dogs where this is obviously done to prevent uncontrolled reproduction resulting in unwanted animals that have no prospect of a good life as a wanted and cared-for pet and would probably have to be euthanased.

I have no idea whether it might be possible the neuter a male koi but, if it was possible and was done purely in pursuit of a "better" body shape I would regard that in a similar light as cosmetic surgery. Surgery for valid reasons is acceptable and desirable but surgery to make a lower quality fish with a defect appear to be as visually appealing as a higher quality, and therefore more expensive, one seems to me to be the beginning of slippery slope.
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Got to agree with Manky. Putting a pet at risk by inflicting MAJOR surgery upon it in order to achieve a cosmetic improvement just seems totally unethical and immoral. It's not the same as removing shimmies etc
axolo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by axolo »

Hmm, I was just looking for a technical answer, not a moral debate.

Anyway, where do you place the border, pulling a scale , cutting a tancho (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AyAW_Kz4fM )or neutering.
+ each time you take your koi to a show, or each time you transport a koi, you put it at risk. (Of course when done correctly the risks are minimum, but the same could be said about neutering)
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

I wouldn't want to get into an argument about this but I've already acknowledged that surgery for valid medical reasons is perfectly acceptable and I think you are stretching a point in trying to equate pulling an infected scale with surgery for cosmetic reasons.

The border is clear as far as koi shows are concerned. As a co-author of the UKKPU Show Rules, which have now been adopted by the BKKS, I can confirm that BKKS Judges will reject any koi that shows signs of having been subjected to rounding of the tancho spot or any other form of surgery done for cosmetic reasons. Also the Show Rules give clear guidance to owners about how to prepare and transport koi to and from a show safely and how the koi should be looked after during the show.

I believe that the rules are even more stringent in Holland because, in order to discourage the practice, the Judges won't just exclude a koi that shows signs of cosmetic surgery, they will exclude every koi in that show vat as well.
deddog
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by deddog »

This could be done at the breeders and most of the koi produced would be sterile, it involves subjecting the eggs to a rapid change in temperature or pressure.
These fish are known as Triploid fish, Trout and Grass Carp are two fish that are commonly subjected to this treatment and often grow faster due to lack of reproduction.