microscope settings

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

kmabo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

microscope settings

Post by kmabo »

hi guys, am I correct in thinking that the correct settings for seeing parasites is 16x top and 10x bottom
thanks
kev
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: microscope settings

Post by Duncan »

Kev

it all depends on how experienced you are

for myself I use the widest field eye piece I can so that means X10 and x4 objective I can scan a slide very fast and I don't miss a thing even at just x40, if I want to confirm something ive spotted I change the objective mag to x10 or even x20

for the inexperienced I would guess again X10 eye piece and either x10 or x 40 nobody need to go any higher than X40 if you do then your doing something wrong

the reason I say a X10 eye piece is because any thing higher cuts down you field of view it start to look like looking down a tunnel, so a x16 would give you a narrower field of view and a x20 narrower still, but of course higher magnification

bacteria are visible at x1000 but you will see very little definition you would need to gram dye them to determine if they are gram neg or gram positive

dunc
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

I am currently using a 20x eyepeice and 4x objective then move on up to 10 objective. I used to use a 10x eyepiece but lost it . No wonder I have trouble finding anything lately. I have tried looking for an Apex 10x eyepiece but have been unable to source one .Best Regards Dave
kmabo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by kmabo »

Thanks guys :D
kingfisher
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by kingfisher »

Duncan wrote:Kev

it all depends on how experienced you are

for myself I use the widest field eye piece I can so that means X10 and x4 objective I can scan a slide very fast and I don't miss a thing even at just x40, if I want to confirm something ive spotted I change the objective mag to x10 or even x20

for the inexperienced I would guess again X10 eye piece and either x10 or x 40 nobody need to go any higher than X40 if you do then your doing something wrong

the reason I say a X10 eye piece is because any thing higher cuts down you field of view it start to look like looking down a tunnel, so a x16 would give you a narrower field of view and a x20 narrower still, but of course higher magnification

bacteria are visible at x1000 but you will see very little definition you would need to gram dye them to determine if they are gram neg or gram positive

dunc
That helps me too, having recently bought a Lidll microscope & tied it up to a Laptop & at first, unable to focus at all due to using too much magnification. I was alright on flies legs but useless on parasites :)

kingfisher
simon
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

dave a brunel standard x10 wide field will fit an apex
if in doubt ask them but im sure im right
dunc
DaveB
Tiger Shark