Question about gill flukes

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Dandj
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Question about gill flukes

Post by Dandj »

Duncan, can the gill fluke eggs stay on the koi?
I ask as we have acquired some koi with the odd gill fluke, ie 3 koi..... 1 gill fluke found. So we were hoping to nuke these in the Q tank before they go into the pond but as they are new in and treated as they arrived I am hoping the adult flukes will have been zapped but not to sure if any eggs would be on the koi? they are getting 3 doses anyway but even so I am really hoping not to introduce gill flukes to the big pond as it would be a nightmare to sort them in there.
Next question how soon could we redose with Prazi after using Flubenol?? Flubenol is what we have so that's what we used, really did not want to wait for the postman with gill flukes.
Thanks Jane
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about gill flukes

Post by Duncan »

gill flukes are like a sausage machine when it comes to laying eggs, the eggs will go everywhere so you need to treat for eggs as well

why Prazi after flubenol? one or the other not both

dunc
Dandj
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dandj »

Thanks for the speedy reply Duncan, I am treating with flubenol BUT if it does not sort them out wanted to know how long to leave it before trying an alternative. looks like they will be in the tank for a while then.

One well known dealer states that he treats with flubenol 1 week and prazi the following on his koi.

How long is the flubenol active in the water? I read that the makers of flukesolve recommend just topping up the dose with every water change as it stays in the water for a long time.

Thanks
Jane
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

well flubenol works on thefluke eggs prazi does not

flukesolve is only 50% Prazi god know what else is in there

I would have said a week as well for flubenol to be gone

dunc
Dandj
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dandj »

Thanks Duncan.
Good so they are in the better option! More luck than anything as we keep flubenol in the cupboard as it seems to control our flukes and it is way cheaper than prazi for a big volume of water.
So what do you think about the 3 day apart dose that's popular at higher temps? ie over 20*C ?
The tank is at 24*C hoping to catch any as they hatch out before the flubenol dilutes away with filter flushes.
Jane
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Jane

I treat for gill flukes with Praziquantel a week apart I see no reason to subject the koi to more stress than need be

with Prazi and gill flukes you have no choice then to treat twice as there is no spectrum of action on the eggs, that said the eggs can hide( obviously they don't hide but you know what I mean) almost every where in the pipes filters anywhere there is a build up of crap so can escape even flubenol

yes I suppose the makers of flukesolve would recommend toping the dose up on every water change its money in the bank

dunc