Colombo Alporex

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Colombo Alporex

Post by Duncan »

mine is better in so much as you can dose it every two days and use with salt till symptoms desist

its malachite green, acriflavin hydrochloride and quinine sulphate

if anyone want to try it just holla

dunc
Dandj
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dandj »

So this is basically WS3 as made by King British. Brilliant for whitespot. I was told years ago the quinine allowed the treatment to kill the whitespot whilst encysted which no other treatment could do. Hence you could eliminate it much more quickly than with FMG.
It used to be made in a decent sized bottle but alas no more so I only keep it house for use in the Q tank, so I am very interested in quantities big enough to treat a 10.00 gallon pond should we ever need to.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

yes it will be available in large size bottles for pond use but as yet I have not made it up in large quantities as I'm extremely busy this will be my winter project unless someone wants some sooner
I have to build a new chemical house

same goes for the other stuff

duncan
Dandj
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dandj »

No rush ..... famous last words.............. hoping not to need it ever! I have a couple of WS3 on the shelf for the tank and have not needed them either this year, only had the dreaded gill flukes brought in with koi this year. :roll:
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

well I have a gallon here I made so if you want say a litre or half litre I can do that , what I meant was ive not made a full production run yet

im guessing including postage a litre would be £28 till I can work it out finally

dunc
obolisk
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by obolisk »

I was struggling to get rid of costia as it was hideing on the side of my shower i used everything including protoban PP etc i used Alprex and its gone great stuff.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

I can make this in an instant an exact photo copy but you would have to heed the recommended precautions

dunc
anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by anne »

Colombo Alparex does not mix well with other chemicals. For example if algea treatments containing copper or active oxygen is used in the pond, treatment with Alparex can go terrible wrong. Also soft water can make the product to toxic. I've one clear case of poisoning in soft water plus two cases were Alparex can be suspected to have triggered sleeping behavior (not confirmed to be CEV). In that, to me clear case, one fish was found dead in the morning after second dose and one koi was showing loss of balance and erratic swimming near the suface. It quickly recovered when mowed to clean water.
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

I have frequently been asked to analyse water samples in order to help in cases where these effects have caused problems, including complete wipe outs, one of which happened just a few days ago. I don't yet have sufficient data to make a definite statement because the conditions under which the treatment has been used have been too variable but one thing is clear. There have been problems with these treatments which, I agree coincide with low pH or low KH conditions. The samples I've received so far have not showed positive for copper but I haven't had sufficient samples yet so I can't make any statement about this factor other that it makes sense and I'll certainly look into that aspect in the future.

One factor I suspect, in common with many treatments, is that some hobbyists are too quick to use a treatment without fully reading and understanding the instructions. The last case certainly fell into that category.
anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by anne »

Copper is known to cause problems says the manufacturer. You also must look into the general hardness. I'll check my mails for more detail. I'll get back!
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Thanks Anne, any information you can provide will be helpful.
anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by anne »

Manufacturer say > KH 6 , > GH 8 and pH > 7

Use along with anti algea products with active oxygen I have two cases with bad reaction. I also have one case of sleeping behavior after treating with Fishpharma GTC, same active substanses as Alparex. MG and acriflavin HCL. Different rout of administration and dosing. Waterparameters in this case unclear. Only temperatur about 17 degree celsius.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

alparex is more or less acriflavin hydrochloride the only other thing in it is malachite green but its such a miniscule amount 0.02% its just there to colour and confuse folks so they don't just dump acriflavin powder in

The thing is its the hydrochloride version which has a pH of 1 to 1.5 which makes it KH dependant they use this because its cheap compared to the acriflavin neutral which has a pH of 7 and is not KH dependant but is twice as expensive as the chloride

everything is money driven

dunc
anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by anne »

Thanks for the input, I'll always suspected it is the HCL that makes this product unpredictable. Cyprinocur and Kusuri use neutral in their acriflavine products. Can't say they are more expensive but a little bit softer on the fish and maybe on the parasites as well.