Very worried

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Very worried

Post by Duncan »

peter do you partial around day 5-6 and give it a day to rest then go back in on day 8 that should give you 7 clear days in-between
dunc
spags
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by spags »

Ok Duncan thanks for that and understood. The pond isn't looking so green today and while when i approached the pond today most of them were just sitting on the bottom but when they saw me all but one started swimming around so while i think they are not enjoying it i think they are coping.
The one that isn't coping so much and is just sitting on the bottom is the one that is the previous pictures, i think maybe this koi stresses more than the others. This koi looks like will be my early warning sign when things are not quite right.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

7 days after the first treatment

get some O2 in there as well

dunc
spags
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by spags »

Hi Duncan my water has gone crystal clear now is that correct? All the fish are swimming around and looking for food the raised scales i mentioned in a previous post seem to gone back down and the stressed koi is looking good now, but I'm still seeing flashing from a number of koi, is this normal still after only doing the first treatment?
I took a water test today ( not sure if the treatment would effect results but diid one anyway ).
PH= 8.4 Ammonia= 0.06 Nitrite= 0.07 Nitrate= 7.6 these were taken using Hanna reagents.

The plan is to do a large partial water change tomorrow and then a partial water change while cleaning filters on saturday then treat second dose of FMG on Sunday.

There is one fish of concern which i don't know if this was due to sitting on the bottom during first dose or not but underneath near the vent and anal fin it looks very sore and red its quite hard to see even with a window as the fish is never accommodating in showing me. would never seen it at all if it was not for the window. Ive attached a photo as best i can get, do you think i should treat this before going into the second dose?
Attachments
IMAG0147.jpg
IMAG0147.jpg (80.76 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

yes that needs attention now you may need tp pull a scale or two by the looks

dunc
spags
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by spags »

Duncan wrote:yes that needs attention now you may need tp pull a scale or two by the looks

dunc
I thought as much so yesterday with the help of oil of cloves i had a better look and oh my god this poor fish is a much poorer state than it first seemed see picture below.
This is my second year in koi keeping the first year was a walk in the park compared to this year so far, I'm having serious doubts in my ability to look after these wonderful creatures.
All i did was use something to clean and disinfect the area and put some sealer on and released him, the thing that has tricked me is however bad it is this fish is swimming happily and eating well and because it is right underneath nothing was noticed until two days ago.
Im thinking i should pull this one out of the main pond and put it in a 200 gallon vat i have so it can be treated and i can also heat this vat what do you think?
How should i go about treating this koi?
I have again treated the main pond with the second dose of FMG.
Also another question, when i put the koi to sleep for treatment and held it in my hand for 10 sec with no moment i assumed the koi was nicely under but when treating say a minute on the table the koi tail flapped about. How long do they stay under before starting to wake up. I put 7 drops of clove oil to every gallon of water.
Attachments
2014-05-30 14.25.02.jpg
2014-05-30 14.25.02.jpg (127.82 KiB) Viewed 1593 times