Pop eye

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Pop eye

Post by anne »

Hi,
one eye have poped out suddenly on my ochiba today. Same thing happened last spring. I then treated with antibiotics and the eye settled nice in the socket after about a week. About 2 weeks after that the other eye poped out the same way. Treated with antibiotics again and the eye settled back again just as the first time. Then no problems until now. Same thing. What can it be? Is it bacterial? Shall I treat with antibiotics or shall I leave it and se what happens? This fish is very dear to me.
I also should mention that first time this happened last year I waited for about one week before I started treatment. Temperatur was 10 or 12 degree celsius. When temperatur rised to 16 degree I decided to take no chanses and started treatment.
I now have 16 degre celsius in the pond.
Attachments
2014-05-16 19.07.36.jpg
2014-05-16 19.07.36.jpg (85.85 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Pop eye

Post by anne »

It is much worse this morning. I'll start to treat with doxycyklin in feed today. He eats from the hand so it works very well. Is there no one hwo knows what can be the couse of this? I know the pseudogill have some function whit the oxygensupply to the eye. It also have a line to the braine. Since this fenomena is only in spring, can it be realated to hormones or something like that you think?
If it is not an infektion it may me an inflammation in the eye itself, behind the eye. Is there any drug to help inflammation and pain in fish?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi Anne

yes I would treat with a good broad spectrum antibiotic , the fact that it goes back after you treat with an antibiotic is a clear indication that's it is bacterial
quite why6 it should flair up at this time of year is a mystery
dunc
anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by anne »

Tanks Duncan, he started to get better, more activ and looking for me, yesterday afternoon. The eye also looks a little bit better already I think.
anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by anne »

Update on this! Same every year, first one eye and after a couple of weeks the other one. Only in spring. Now three years in row. I don't treat it, it corrects itself. You can tell a day before he gets a bit depressed and then next day the eye starts to pop out. After reaching max swelling it starts to set back. Whole process takes about a week, then everything is cool until the other eye pops out. I do not think it is a bacterial infection. Can't se the lodgic in why an infection with any pathogen should show this kind of pattern. If you do please tell. I'm back to my theory it might be something hormonally. Any ideás of what else it can be?
Attachments
Eye when it is max poped out. Takes about 24 hours to reach this position and it then starts to slowly set back.
Eye when it is max poped out. Takes about 24 hours to reach this position and it then starts to slowly set back.
2015-04-30 17.54.10.jpg (78.77 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

you could be right Anne but I only know of one thing that causes this and that Is bacteria in the fluid behind the eye causing it to pop out
for me I cant see what it is about coming out of winter that would cause this apart from a bacteria taking advantage of a wintertime suppressed immune system

dunc