Praziquantel discoveries

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Praziquantel discoveries

Post by Duncan »

well the fish are doing fine despite being treated for fluke with prazi and MG&F for white spot all at the same time I will repeat this at the 7 day interval as if treating for gill fluke and white spot so they will get another barrage simultaneous just as it would be if you had to repeat the treatments

I will write all this up as and when ive finished so no stone is left unturned and folks are in no doubt it can or cant be done

dunc
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

well the second dose went in yesterday 7 days after the first dose as though we were treating for gill fluke and white spot , to recap Prazi 36% formaldehyde and 2% malachite green all three were dosed at +20% higher than the norm and salt as well

got up early this morning and fish are fine in fact im just going top feed them keep you posted
ginboomerang
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by ginboomerang »

Hello Duncan,

Good to meet you yesterday.

Well, as I explained yesterday. A colleague of my wife has a garden pond (approx 1800 gallons by my estimation) and she called my wife on Sunday morning to ask if I'd pop over to have a look at her Koi - mixed sizes and ages, as they was sat on the bottom and not moving with their fins "tucked in". I drove over and yep, koi sat on the bottom sulking, tested the water and checked out okay so got one out and scraped, it had gill and skin flukes. I scraped just the first fish, found nothing else.

Mixed up 18gm of 100% Prazi with 10ml of Formaldehyde, a bit of pond water and chucked it in, left them to it and said I'd call her Tuesday morning. I called and she said that most of the koi was off the bottom but not so lively and still looking sulky. Over I went again and scraped two fish, found no flukes but Costia, not swarms of them but still there. They may have been Costia in first place and I missed it but I did scour the scrape for quite a while, also I did only scrape one fish.

So, after I picked up the stuff from you, on Wednesday evening I hit them with another 18gm Prazi, 2.1gm Malachite Crystals and 120ml of Formaldehyde,- I stuffed it all in a jar and shook it for a few minutes then swished it into a bucket of pond water - in it went. I also took over an additional air pump with some stones and got them bubbling the pond over; then left them to it,I'm glad they weren't mine as I wouldn't have left the pond ! I called her at lunchtime today (Thursday) and she says there are none floating on the top and she can just about see them swimming about through the dark blue murky water 8)

I'm away now until Saturday night so I'll take a scrape on Sunday evening after I've pottered about at the National to see what's left.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

great keep us posted mate

BTW i was looking at Paul Kossof's albums on itunes after you mentioning him, i may pick one up as a treat

dunc
ginboomerang
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by ginboomerang »

I didn't get chance to scrape her Koi until today, I pulled the Koi that I found the costia on and she's clean, no flukes, no costia. All Koi swimming about happily. She gave her filter (KK Multi Chamber) a good clean whilst I was away and today we did around a 30 % water change with Thiosulphate though I did set up a hose to dribble in water when I chucked in the chemical combo. A second hit of MG&F has gone in and if the Koi are still clean and acting nicely, a big water change and leave it.

So, no fish loss and promising results.

Duncan, Free was/are my all time favourite band, here's Paul Rogers and Kossoff doing what Kossoff did best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvEpqlbjcI4
axolo
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by axolo »

what is the Thiosulphate used for? & in what % do you use it?
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Apollo, it's basically dechlorinator without all the extras
ginboomerang
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by ginboomerang »

axolo wrote:what is the Thiosulphate used for? & in what % do you use it?
What Stuart said.

Sodium Thiosulphate - cheap and readily available.
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

ginboomerang wrote:
Duncan, Free was/are my all time favourite band, here's Paul Rogers and Kossoff doing what Kossoff did best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvEpqlbjcI4

Great to see these old bands again, needless to say that I was there, :D you do miss out on the sheer volume and chest-thumping intensity of seeing them live and in person though. computer speakers leave a LOT to be desired.

Miraculous these old tapes have copied over to the new technology so well, or an awfull lot of great stuff would have been lost for ever. What could I have filmed in my mis-spent youth ?, if only camera phones had been around then. :D

Chris 8)
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi guys

well im doing the multi treatment all over again with a different set of fish just to make sure it was not FLUKE :lol:

all going well again over estimated everything to give a good margin keep you posted

dunc
Steve R
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Steve R »

Hi Duncan

Can I please ask how the repeat trial of the multi treatment went? Any issues and did you also have salt in the water as you did with the original trial?

Thanks

Steve
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

im sorry I thought I had done this, to many balls in the air at once again im afraid

yes it went well but there was only a small amount of salt in the water this time but it was good
again I cant speak for flukesolve as its not 100% ( actually its 50%) the trouble with that is I don't know what the other 50% is it may or may not have a detrimental effect on the added treatments

dunc
Steve R
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Steve R »

Thank you Duncan
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Duncan When using all 3 Prazi Formalin and MG. Do you do the 15% water change in between. The reason I as is due to having to do at least 1 filter dump during the treatment. Is this necessary. I will be using slightly more than the recomended 10g per 1000 gallons ie 60g for 5400 gallons, or would it be better to stick with the 10g per 1000 gallon and top up with 6g after a filter dump. Best regards Dave
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

no put your partial off for a while

dunc