Are we all ready for this cold snap ??

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

maxinegrundy

Are we all ready for this cold snap ??

Post by maxinegrundy »

Looks like the temps are going to take a big dip in the next week :roll:

This is my first year heating my big pond (lpg gas boiler) trying to keep them around 13c ..
My garden looks like polycarbonate kingdom at the moment ..LOL
I have covered everything as much as i can ..just in an attempt to keep the wind chill off.
I bought one of the 6m x 3m polyyunnels off ebay think it was about £110 .. its payed for itself the fist winter..
with water temps staying around 6c on the coldest of days/nights.

Toolstation sell the hot water jackets for about £5 ..i used them to wrap filters up and pipework ..they really help.
Keeping ball and slide valves from freezing using the jackets ..as i had one split a couple of years ago ..and dont want that happening again. :roll:

Any other suggestions ??
Max
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Are we all ready for this cold snap ??

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Max
I let my pond go down to 10c through the Winter and don't seem to have many problems come the Spring and it would help save you a few ££££s.

Regards Geoff
bigmel
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by bigmel »

Hi all

Just let mine get on with it , does not look to bad in my neck of the woods its been really mild so far cannot believe it koi still fairly active
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

I lost a stunning showa and a kohaku about 2 years ago ..
we had temps of 1/2c i really dont want to go through that again.
plus i have 11 babies in a large holding net inside the pond ..
so keeping it warmer i might get a bit more growth out of them. :roll:
Max
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

Hi Max, Mel,

I'm heated using an Dura + 10 ASHP the stat is set at 10 degs C and it hasn't been on for weeks due to the mild weather. Pond is covered with 25mm five wall polycarb from Nick Gray and the shower with 15mm.

This year I have made sure the polycarb is properly sealed at the ends and it seems to be making a real difference to retaining the warmth, and have a hot water tank cover round the bead and have insulated the sieve and N310 with foil covered bubble wrap.

All seems OK at the moment although I did have to check and subsequently treat one of my shiros earlier with iodine as she has a slight redness on one scale on her right flank.

My biggest problem has been water in the filter house which requires regular mopping or hoovering out and the condensation is driving me crazy.

Job for the spring / summer is to fit a sump somewhere when fitting the drum and bigger shower.

Dom