Shame about this forum

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Shame about this forum

Post by DaveB »

It was a sad loss when Duncan dicided to pack in the Hobby( although he still helped me from time to time) When he did this forum went down hill fast and has never really recovered. Now I know you guys post occationally on other forums,so how come not this one. I really miss the days when some really knowledgable koi keepers used to post on here and have you noticed how as soon as Duncan mentions a Book a few people begin to post. So come on guys where have you all been? There must be something we can all start to discuss and once again learn from each other. Best regards Dave
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Shame about this forum

Post by fisherman »

Hi Dave
I cannot agree with you more in the past Duncan has help me and put me on the right road on my koi medication I am looking out for the new book that he is working on :D
Thanks Duncan
Pete
fishkeeper61
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by fishkeeper61 »

hi all its a great forum it is a shame not alot of people post on here is it because they think its for the more advanced keeper all the best paul
James WF10
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by James WF10 »

I didnt realise that he had quit the hobby, thought he'd just had enough of running the forum as there had been a lot of hassle with it from idiots on other website forums.
Definitely a lot quieter on here but after recently posting a question its safe to say that there are still a lot of very helpful and proffessional people active in the background so i still use the forum as my number one go to place for advice.
What other site/forums are active? i am always interested in whats going on.
I was never very active as a poster and couldnt ever offer expert advice but i'm generally lurking and checking in from time to time as i am sure many others are still doing so.
Cheers
James
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Manky Sanke »

Duncan hasn't abandoned this forum, he still pops in to give his expert advice on koi health or treatment questions. In the meantime I'm looking after it for him and I'm always here to answer other questions so, if anyone wants this forum to be more active, just post a comment about something or ask a question.
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

James WF10 wrote:I didnt realise that he had quit the hobby, thought he'd just had enough of running the forum as there had been a lot of hassle with it from idiots on other website forums.
Definitely a lot quieter on here but after recently posting a question its safe to say that there are still a lot of very helpful and proffessional people active in the background so i still use the forum as my number one go to place for advice.
What other site/forums are active? i am always interested in whats going on.
I was never very active as a poster and couldnt ever offer expert advice but i'm generally lurking and checking in from time to time as i am sure many others are still doing so.
Cheers
James
One other one I use is also looked after by Sid http://www.koimag.co.uk/forum/website.html which I follow but have not posted. another one I follow is
http://www.yorkshirekoi.co.uk/ where I think Gazza posts occationally. I also have a look at which is very active, ***************************** which is another one if you don,t mind a lot of p***s taking. I too post here if I ever had any problems and always look to see if there are any new posts. Best regards Dave
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Hi guys

I can assure you I am still very active in the hobby I just choose to place myself more carefully now! I was badly bitten and mauled in the past and am a lot more careful now with whom I associate with.

I answer queries on here still and try to look in every day, I also keep the forum maintained and up to date. I am teaching koi health again, in the states for koi organisation international “KOI” with a great bunch of folks! , am still messing with fish of one sort or another, in fact im about to start another koi pond but this time I don’t intend to be a koi snob my new pond will have koi of course but will have minimal filtration be shallow and have aquatic plants and be more natural.

I’m still messing/experimenting with and selling my chemicals and doing pond visits when asked and I deal with folks koi problems privately in email every day of the week, so Im still very much about and on the ball, I just choose to align myself to a different set of people and values

Yes koiquest is just a forgotten memory of what it once was in the koi world. Am I sad and disappointed about its demise ? well yes. Folks who I thought of as friends who I have for years helped with time and resource just upped stakes and started posting elsewhere. A guy I thought of like a brother who I helped with koiquest when his back was up against the wall and could of helped but did nothing just could not be bothered.

I don’t really know what else I could do or why folks simply move on? I guess there is not much loyalty left in the world now, but that said koiquest forum will remain here as long as just one person to post here and I will I guess always be around
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Thanks Duncan for the input and I am sure you have your loyal followers, me and Annette being 2 of them
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Glen

i can rely always on annette and your self as well as any one else who is still posting here you all know who you are aand my gratitude goes to you all

but i wear my heart on my sleeve and always have and when im agrieved I'm agieved and certain people have dissapointed me i cant help that but please at this point in time i have folks around me i know that are good people to have by you in a storm and i mean that

dunc
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

I know what everybody means, but I think many forums are in the same boat, I used to go on Koi Chat before Koi Quest but that is no more , TTK, well what a waste of space unless you like silly banter, R Koi can be a little biased and Koi Mag has some excellent advice if you can ignore all the guff. I would post more if
1I have any problems, which fortunately for the last two years I have not, touch wood
2) If I can help out and am CERTAIN about the advice I can give. Often I know what I would do with my own fish but perhaps it is not the absolute best advice which could be given
But I constantly drop in and see what is going on and help where I can. It would be a black day I dead if Koi Quest and Duncan ever disappeared from the web. Still appreciate all the help and advice Duncan has given me over the years. I hope I will always be able to count on him as a mate.
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

I would have to agree with Stuart I often look in but find most posts have been replied to,and replied too giving the correct advice so I have nothing to add.Also I dont have much to post my self sorry to say
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Guys,

I look in most days and will of course always help if I can that goes without saying :D

I think most forums and web stuff have taken a dive due to social network sites and this is not just in the koi world.

I myself have taken a bit of a backward step in koi as I wanted a bit of a rest due to other commitments which is even more compounded after loosing many fish whilst away on holiday.

So in short I am always about to help just sometimes need a bit of a nudge :D
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello Everyone :D
I think it has already been said .. we are lurking about .. LOL
I think credit where credit is due ..the people who have stuck around are the ones that have been taught well by Duncan :D

So how can we get people back posting ?
I have a facebook page for our rescue koi ..where i have plugged Duncans book on more than a few occasions
Even earlier today i have plugged koiquest ..
Hopefully i can get some of our members on the rescue page joining and posting :D

Max
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Yes it is sad that the forum isn't used as much as it once was. Duncan was key to the forum and a single person stopping had a major effect. Many of us moved on in life, I no longer keep koi or have a pond. I don't look in on the forum either, no real need to I guess. Here now as Max nudged me. It doesn't sound like there is a decent forum where everyone goes now
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

thanks guys You Rock! :)