Asian Tapeworm

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Asian Tapeworm

Post by Manky Sanke »

Duncan,

I've been contacted by someone who suspects that one of her koi has Asian Tapeworm. She gave the description below and asked if I knew what would be a suitable treatment. I wouldn't bluff so I told her that although I had an idea what to use, I'd double check first. So, bearing in mind that I'm sure I recall you saying that there were risks with praziquantel what would be your recommendation or is there a safer treatment?

This was her description:

...A week ago, one koi excreted a whitish sac with a short wormlike extension at one end; when I fished it out and opened it there were approx six white round eggs therein. The Manual of Koi Health leads me to suspect the Asian tapeworm parasite.....
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Asian Tapeworm

Post by Duncan »

hi Syd
this could be chinese liver fluke, in any event i would go with flubenol this has a real wide spectrum of use

sorry i missed this post
Manky Sanke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Asian Tapeworm

Post by Manky Sanke »

Thanks Duncan,

I told her she may have to wait because you might be busy elsewhere, I'll pass that message on.