What are your successful treatments

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: What are your successful treatments

Post by Spalders »

Topical treatments for me:-

Roccal
Mercurochrome
Lock & Seal with Propolis
Orahesive Powder

Iodine for raised scales, minor bumps etc.

PP solution (if necessary for fin and mouth rot)

Tried MFR1 once on mouth rot, no joy.

Tried Koi Clear Gel, thought it was rubbish.

Pond / tank treatments

Salt
CT
PP
FMG
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

funny you should say koi clear Gel was rubbish

ozonated oils is big business and the FDA in the states have done a lot of researtch into it this is what they came up with

The FDA have categorised Ozone Therapy as a fraud.

It is a complete scam - There is absolutely no evidence that it works, not from any scientific perspective. In fact when placed under scientific scrutiny, it fails dreadfully. Don't be scammed .

To put it into perspective, criminal proceedings have been instituted against ozone generator companies for fraudulently misrepresenting their products and for intentionally scamming people

that said Maxine and I have discussed what we think is at work with this stuff to early to divulge yet as i dont have anything to treat
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

Yes Duncan
it was an interesting chat about it :D
I do have some manky koi if you fancy giving it a bash :)
Max
tucker81
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by tucker81 »

ive all duncans treatments in the cabinet, but i have found koi gel to work well for me and my mate

tom :D
maxinegrundy

Post by maxinegrundy »

LOL .. i have some manky koi for you Duncan
just let me know when you want them :roll:
Max
kingfisher
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by kingfisher »

I use iodine,lock&seal/Roccal. Have read some tales of iodine reaction ?
Hydrogen Peroxide (cleansing damage)
Vircon in the Spring.
Phenoxy for anaesthetic
Don`t like PP- nearly wiped my stock out.

Don`t like gentian violet,got bad cold sores on my lips just before I got engaged & the Doc. smothered me in the stuff :(

kingfisher
KoiDoctor
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by KoiDoctor »

For many years now i've used the basics as suggested by Duncan and the book (bible)

As a standard for ulcers = [mercurochrome]/[io-sal] (i've occasionally found mercurochrome too strong and iodine possibly weaker but better in the long run) + orahesive powder (that has to be applied correctly or it flakes off like a massive bandage) + seal by Lock n Seal Plus (or whatever the kids are calling it these days)

Gentian violet is definitely effective for general forms of rotting in my experience it {burns} away the infection and allows the skin to regrow on a clean surface. In the right conditions the single use of gentian violet has worked to heal fins.
In cold water it can relapse but a second treatment with general antiseptic and a sealer works.

Currently i've been testing with both a liquid concentrate and a paste form of Proflavin hemasulphate as a direct antiseptic treatment just by itself as an alternative to mercurochrome without a sealer and with a sealer.

Results so far have shown an instantaneous soothing effect working like an anti-bacterial (somewhat the same as they use on horses for sores)

I've found similar results on majorly infected areas, where normally peroxide would be used and as i've found to be quite harsh and a long turn around for healing, obversely again the soothing is seen in a reduction in redness. However current calculation to appropriate strengths to use is difficult as it disperses in water and contact time needs more testing.

I will say i never use malachite or PP as a direct treatment as it seems way to harsh a treatment with better alternatives around. When you think of how violent potassium is when it touches moisture...

As i say still testing different things but at the end of the day i will always return to the classics that worked 8 years ago and work today.