Medication - help needed please.

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

TrueBlue32
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Medication - help needed please.

Post by TrueBlue32 »

Good morning everyone, first post here...
I have 8 koi that I have moved into a quarantine vat from a koi show vat. The reason for moving these is that I started to extend my pond before the weather really took a turn for the worse. The water was close to freezing point due to being so exposed above ground, so I moved them into the quarantine vat.
On Friday I found I had Chello one one fish, so added Formalin. On Satuday I did further scrapes and found white spot and costia. At this point I bought some Kusuri MG and put some this in the vat. This MG states to use half the dose you would normally if using with Formalin and this is what I have done.
I post on other forums and most people don't agree with the half dose of MG. does anyone on this forum have any thoughts?
I need to decide when to treat them again, the medication states 7 days apart with half dose, but a book I bought the weekend "step by step advanced koi diagnosis and treatments" mentions using 10ml per 176 gallons which is twice the strength I have currently used, again at 7 day intervals.
I also have three doitsu Koi and I understand that having this strain of koi can affect what to treat, possibly
Any help would be really appreciated.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Medication - help needed please.

Post by Duncan »

hi and welcome ( wish i had a name to go with this post)

you dont say what the temperature is right now, so do not treat below 55 f 13c, KMNO4 is the only treatment that you can go right down on temp with

the recomended treatment for white spot if your in the temp zone is as follows

MG 2% 10 to every 176 gallons
Formaldehyde 30-37% 10 ml to every 150 gallons

7 days apart

you can play around with the spacing and the formaldehyde dose dependant on the temperature of the water, but dont mess with the MG dose

Duncan
TrueBlue32
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by TrueBlue32 »

Duncan apart from when I do the water changes to control nitrite is am in between 12-14 degrees. When I water change it drops to about 11 degrees.
The name is Carl by the way.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Carl, treat 7 days apart then dont get the doses any closer than this

duncan
TrueBlue32
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by TrueBlue32 »

Duncan, sorry another quick question for you...
Before I spotted the costia, I had only noticed Chilidonella so had treated this with Formalin. 24 hours later I had scraped more fish and then found the costia, at this point I bought some MG and then put this in at half dose as per the instructions on the bottle.
I have been told that since there was approx 24 hours between the Formalin and MG going in, I should treat a further three times now with both Formalin and MG at the same time. Does this sound right to you?

In effect I have been told that the MG would not have done much because the Formalin would have dispersed by the time MG went in.

Can you please let me know what you think in this.

Thanks,
Carl.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi Carl

formaldehyde only sticks around for about 8 hours less if you have a pond with high organic load, so yes by the time you put the MG in the formaldehyde would have gone no matter what its concentration, its a lot like KMnO4 it spends itself on DOC's but not quite as fast

so pick a point 7 days from the last treatment and treat again with both MG and formaldehyde simultaneous at full dose as per my book, 3 doses in all

duncan
TrueBlue32
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by TrueBlue32 »

Duncan, the MG I have from Kusuri states treating at half does if used with Formalin. With this in mind in your opinion should I stick to what it states on the bottle or go with you recommendations?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Carl

Since the year dot Kusuri have had that clause in their MG dose rate, i did not understand it then and i dont understand it now. just as they have on their PP (KMnO4) packet, "keep the pond purple for 15 hours" when treating with PP. the first instruction is wrong and the last instruction is very wrong!

i believe i have, my book has and other forums have answered your question. i have never in all my years halved the dose of MG when treating collectively with MG and formaldehyde of any concentration. In fact i have always advocated the standard dose of malachite (10ml/176 gallons)whilst you can( if your back against the wall) double the dose of formaldehyde added (10 ml/75 gallons),

but while im spelling it out , anyone who keeps the pond purple for 15 hours when treating with PP better dig a deep hole up the top of the garden :lol:

dunc
Al
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Al »

Kusuri...! :evil:
Dunc..... :wink:
nothing else to say :roll: :D
TrueBlue32
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by TrueBlue32 »

Thanks Duncan, I'm still relatively new to this koi keeping, I am more than happy to go with what you recommend and use the full dose. It just threw me when it stated what it does on the packaging, and as this was the first time I had used MG I just wanted to be sure.
Appreciate the help.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

No Problem im always around for advise

dunc