People do not understand

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

People do not understand

Post by kimr »

Today I got a phone call from the friend who is caring for my Koi while my house move happened and the new pond was set up. She has had most of my Koi for a while now and this Thursday I was due to go and get them and bring them home. This morning I get a phone call to tell me my Yamabuki Ogon is dead, this Koi was the first Koi I brought, you may laugh but I got her from Pets at Home for the grand price of £3.95 in April 2001, she was a tiny little thing when I got her but over the years she grew and today she measured 61 cms. Everyone who saw her thought she was stunning and I would smile inside knowing I had Koi in the pond with her that cost me a lot of money but it was always my Butter they picked out. A good friend in the Koi world would always say "I do like that Yamabuki" Butter was my baby girl who I loved so so much, everytime I went to the pond she would be the first to come to me. No she wasn't A grade Japanese but to me she was the most beautiful Koi.

People say it is only a "fish" and it makes me so cross because my Koi are not just "fish" to me. Being disabled my life had become so withdrawn I never went out I didnt see people I had shut myself off from the outside world. Then I became a Koi keeper and my whole world opened up. I met Bob Hart who introduced me to Koi Quest and Gazza and Duncan, I did Duncan's course in Koi Health and I have continued to meet some lovely people to many name but all them becoming good friend's. So you see Koi to me are not just "fish" they are my life without them my life would be very stale. My Yamabuki has been with me through it all and now she has gone, yes I have other Koi and they are important and I love them all but none of them will be my Butter. People just dont understand why it hurts so much.
Markey
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: People do not understand

Post by Markey »

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Doesn't matter if it is a cat dog or even a fish. Pets have a special place in our hearts.
and some are more special than others. I can never forget my first Staffie, totally irreplacable.
x
kingfisher
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by kingfisher »

My sympathy Kim,most unfortunate.

I have recently lost my 8 year old Chagoi through unproven cause.

I doubt that it will ever be replaced.

kingfisher
kath1111
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by kath1111 »

Sorry for your loss. I know just how you feel.
Last week, my chagoi (90cms) died. She had not eaten for 5 weeks and during that time we tried the usual salt baths (not easy with a fish that size) and anti biotics, but nothing worked. Her eggs were impacted and she was getting weaker every day, in the end it was kinder to euthanise her. She was the 10th fish lost this year, but somehow the most upsetting.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Sorry to hear that Kim its never nice when these sorts of things happen.
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Kim
Sorry for your loss,this year as been terrible for me too as I have lost 4 koi(only lost 5 in 7.5 years)and Nessy was my favourate koi even though she wouldn't have won any prizes,but she was the first to feed out of my hand and the first up as soon as I went to the pond.

Regards Geoff
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

Most of my fish have names and they all have their own character traits and personalities. I know a lot of people don't name their fish and consider it a bit strange that others do, but each to their own. I lost 16 koi this year (yep, it was that bad) but managed to save all my favourites, mostly through spending ridiculous amounts of money on antibiotic jabs. I was really fed up with the losses but have carried on. But if I had lost some of my favourite, original koi then I had already decided I would give it up.
So, you're not alone, Kim! :)
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Thank you everone for your kindness I knew if anyone would understand the people on here would. A no-body decided it would be fun to pour weed killer into m friends pond (long story) and out of the 26 Koi that went up I onl brought home 7, it has been a heartbreaking time, m friend has lost loads as well and I have ended up bringing them home to give them a chance all of them are now loads better and swimming around looking well. Its just a case of waiting and watching. I am very lucky as I do still have some lovely Koi but Louie I know where you are coming from I did sa after the phone call that I was giving it up. My Koi only went there to be safe !!!!!!! Luckily I am now settled and the new pond is in planning so it is a case of onwards and upwards,

Thanks again everyone xxx
Aqualife2u
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Aqualife2u »

Sorry for your loss, lost my favorite 20inch Sanke last summer sounds silly but the pond doesn't seem right without her i was heartbroken.