Dose rate check please.

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Dose rate check please.

Post by Spalders »

Hi,
I need to treat for white spot and I have Duncan's meds to use.

Pond is 5,000 gallons including filters etc.

Temperature is 15 degrees.

So 3 treatments of Formalin and Malachite Green 5 days apart with water changes inbetween.

From the other recent post i see it is 5g of MG crystals in 250ml of water to give a 2% solution. So I reckon I need 284ml of water and 5.68g of MG crystals.

The formalin is 35% solution so that works out at 285 ml (approx) to give the correct dose of 10ml per 150 gallons of 30% solution.

Could someone please confirm these igures for me, dont want to overdo it!

Finally, I presume this is going to kill my filters too?

Thanks

Dom.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dose rate check please.

Post by Duncan »

Dom

your malachite is right ( 284) but your formaldehyde is out, i make that dose 333 ml .. i dose 35% the same as 30% always have, you just get a bigger bang for your money

no should not kill your filters
dunc
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

Thanks Duncan.
Best regards
Dom.
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

Duncan,

What would be usual for fish behaviour after this treatment?

Mine are being generally lethargic, not eating at all and one or two have cloudy eyes (I'm going to check later whether this is mucus or actual 'cloudy eye).

I checked and triple checked the measurements etc before adding to the pond, added extra air and done everything by the book as far as I can see.

My formalin was last years (unopened) and I very carefully checked for cloudiness, sediment and any crystalisation in the liquid before use.

The malachite green was also unopened and in a sealed container.

Very worried that I have messed up on this...

Thanks

Dom.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi Dom

i take it you had liquid malachite?

this is normal mate the malachite knocks them down quite a bit if you switch the air off you can watch them go even more lethargic

yet again you can get one or two with cloudy eye this is due to the formalin, it will pass and rectify itself ,. i know one or two folks every time they treat with formaldehyde a couple of fish get temporary cloudy eye

dunc
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

Hi Duncan, thanks for your response.
It was your malachite crystals in a sealed tub, opened for this treatment received last Autumn and stored properly with other meds in sealed container away from light / heat / damp etc - measured out the right amount on digital scales and dissolved in filtered water.
I guess I'm worrying more because this is unusual for my koi, when i treated with FMG in my old pond using NT Labs stuff I never had this type of behaviour but then NT Labs is as weak as...
I'm very grateful for your help.
Dom.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

dom

for whats its worth i used my own stuff ( well i would) at the above dose rates and have never seen this behaviour with my own fish, but i know it happens..
they sure wont be sending you any thank you notes for dumping that lot in, mind you the formaldehyde will be long gone now it only lasts a few hours
give it a couple of days from the initial dose then do a partial and watch them perk up

dunc
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dom,

As Dunc has said this does happen and is not uncommon and as you have used Dunc's stuff you will probably find that this is a bit stronger than the other stuff so sit tight and hopefully in a few days they will be back to normally.
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Dom,

They picked up yet? If you haven't already do a 15% water change today this should help them brighten up.
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

Hi guys,
I'm really struggling with this and so are the fish.
Have done water changes and doing another now (routine filter clean and dump).
Shiro utsuris and Tancho Showa are really stressed with red veins showing, a gin rig chag is really not with it - I could virtually pick him up, several sat on the pond floor and some pink pec fins.
Not sure who is more stressed me or the koi.
None are in the least interested on food and haven't been since last Thursday.
Not sure what to do, next treatment due Sunday but at present I'm not keen to do it.
Dom.
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

Guys,
I need help please, very very worried now. To my eyes some fish showing serious signs of distress, conditions seem to have worsened overnight.
Have done more scrapes this morning and found nothing.
I don't know what to do next.
Located West Oxfordshire near Burford a little over an hour from Coldwater Collection (as a reference point).
Thanks
Dom.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Dom

OK you need to forget about the next treatment ( if you found nothing on your scrapes there is little point anyway) and do a rapid water change of around 20% using common dechlor save trickling it back in through a purifier see what happens after this make sure you use sodium thio though

the way im looking at it all you have done a text book MF you should not be seeing any undue stress, sure they wont be happy about it but they should take it in their stride, i could quite comforatbly double dose formalin and have without seeing any stress, so maybe there is something else going on

dunc
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

Hi Duncan,
Thanks.
Nexus done yesterday with 10% water change.
Bead done today whilst fitting an overflow system into back of skimmer so that I can trickle in / out if needed.
Topping back up now through carbon filter - have checked for chlorine in the pond and coming out of the carbon filter using DPD4 and no trace.
In last couple of days I estimate I will have changed more than 30% of the pond.
Also checked all parameters this morning and tap water Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, KH, GH, pH high and low range and O2 - all normal - I keep a spread sheet of results so can cross check with previous readings.
Pond at 19 degrees C this morning - I'm not heated yet - that's the next project - ASHP to be ordered next week when made final decision which to get.
Had a long chat with Ken at CC this morning - he advised don't add next dose of FMG too - he also said change c 30% of water (in process) and is going to send me some stuff to add to the pond to remove any impurities - I can't remember what its called just now Bio something or other from LFH I think.
Have to admit I'm struggling with this one!
Regards
Dom.
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

Just to clarify that last post - Ken is giving me Pond Detox.
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

No improvement overnight - in fact some fish showing signs of fin rot on the tail.