Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Mr_Tiff
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

1st pond planning,

Post by Mr_Tiff »

Hi,
Just wanted some peoples advice please. Im just planning my 1st pond. Id like it 10ft x 6ft x 6ft deep, 2250 gallons if my maths is correct. My parents have a cloverleaf CL3 in their shed they dont use anymore, which kindly I can have for free!! :D
They dont have the paperwork with this filter anymore and I cant find much info online.
would this filter be best gravity fed from a bottom drain or pump fed?
If pump fed could someone recommend a pump please? If gravity fed will it need to be a pumped return? If so could someone recommend a pump please.
Any advice on this filter in general would be great thank you.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1st pond planning,

Post by Duncan »

hi Mr tiff and welcome

if it were me, I would gravity feed this via a 4" bottom drain and pump back via an oase aquamax 10,000 nice4 economical pump circa 100watts.
remember the filter water level has to be the same as the pond water level or maybe just a tad under the pond water level so that if you stop pumping the water in the filter goes slightly into flood mode but if you work on dead level you will be fine

Duncan
Mr_Tiff
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Mr_Tiff »

thats great thank you. so i attach the pump to the outlet on the filter. So ill need to convert from a 4" outlet to the pump input?
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

the tangential 4" is the inlet.. the outlet comes from the top of the last chamber just make the last chamber grog or BHM and rest the aquamax on top pumping back

duncan
Mr_Tiff
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Mr_Tiff »

oh ok, nice one thanks.
just waiting to hear back from my fibreglass quote now.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Or you could run it on an air uplift to save even more money! No pump required then!!!
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Hi Mr Tiff, if it is fibreglassing you want contact Bob Hart who frequents this forum, he is good and very cost effective,

Regards

Glenn
Mr_Tiff
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Mr_Tiff »

I did message him about a rough price while I do my costings, never thought he would come this far south. I might ask him about it . Cheers.
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

Hi Mr Tiff, Bob will go to Bournmouth,

Regards

Glenn
Mr_Tiff
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Mr_Tiff »

I will be sure to give him a shout soon. Thanks .
Got a couple of questions about filtration if someone can help please.
Im not going to spend a fortune on fish, and as a keen carp angler i really want a couple of commons and some linear mirror. But i will be getting a coulple of koi and i expect this hobby will escalate.
Skimmer or no skimmer?
Do I have to have a separate filter and pump for this? Is it worth the extra money??
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

A skimmer is a must IMHO, and so is some form of filtration off the skimmer.
My skimmer goes direct to a midi sieve about 4 foot above water line and gravity fed back through a trickle tower of BHM...... flow rate is about 2000gph so it's more of a power shower than a trickle tower. Water is crystal clear and the koi love swimming through the returning water.

ps.... yes, you'd need a separate pump
Efficiencyman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Efficiencyman »

Bob Hart did a fantastic job of my fibreglassing. I Use a CL3 but I only pull though 5,000 I think it will struggle with a 10,000 especially when its due for a clean. I Feed it via a 30" Vortex from a Bottom Drain, my B/D also feeds my Easy pod to another bottom return. I also run a skimmer to a sieve and a Lacron 24" to a foam fractionator in the warmer months.
The idea of an air lift return, I would like to fit (they are cheaper to run) but have not yet, I`m running out of space as its an after thought.
Mr_Tiff
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Mr_Tiff »

Ive just PMed Bob, hopefully he ll come this far south. God , what started out as I quite fancy a pond is turning into a savings account destroyer!!!! :D Seeing as ive got a CL3 and uv for nothing ive been looking at an easy pod for the skimmer line. Is it worth getting the kits? or can you do it cheaper / better buying it individually? Cheers