sodium thiosulphate

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

sodium thiosulphate

Post by sam51 »

hi guys just brought 1kilo of sodium thiosulphate, how do i make up a stock solution.
the st i brought is NA2S2O3.5H2O it came from http://www.mineral-water.co.uk.
the last branded named one i brought was 13% st. 87%water. which amounted to 130ml st 870ml of water.this made a litre of pond dechlorinator. should i make the same up. also dose a stock solution dematerialize
thanks sam.
pepsi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: sodium thiosulphate

Post by pepsi »

Hi ,I think that if you take 130grans of sodium theosulphate, and disolve that with a small amount of hot water (from the kettle), and the top this up until you have 1 litre of fluid. there you have it 130grams=1litre. This may be used at 10mls to 100 gallons changed. Hope this is helpful....and if it needs checking ,I'm sure Manke Sanke will advise...Barry
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

its all relative to the amount of chlorine you have to neutralize, this will explain http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcstdose.asp
worth making a note of this sites calculator remember that's in US gallons so compensate by 20%

dunc
sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sam51 »

Duncan wrote:its all relative to the amount of chlorine you have to neutralize, this will explain http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcstdose.asp
worth making a note of this sites calculator remember that's in US gallons so compensate by 20%

dunc

hi duncan hope you are good.
dose the amount of chlorine matter,as off the shelf dechlorinator,come as what it is,
ie standard,the dose levels will be x mil for x gallons. how do the manufacturers know how much chlorine you have in your water.
or are there versions weaker doses,
can you over dose with sodium thiosulphate,
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

first there is a legal limit for chlorine in domestic UK water supply < 0.5ppm. so in a way they do know what's in your mains so they make the dechlor up to deal with this plus a bit extra.

next, the over dose for S/T is way past what you can afford to use in your mixture <grin> trust me its way up there

last, remember when dechlorinating chloramines ( chlorine+ ammonia) you will be freeing up ammonia into your pond system best use a tiny bit of formaldehyde (1/10th normal dose) to neutralize any residual NH3

dunc