Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Help with bakki shower.

Post by Russ Little Pond »

Hi guys,
I want to set up a diy bakki shower fed from a Compact sieve or a vortex chamber.

My set up,
550GL vat free standing at 3ft high with limited floor space, with retro BD to a Superfish 1800 to the UV to a compact sieve (i use a small stool to reach inside for cleaning) to pond.
I have three fish of 8 inches each, more will be added later in the year.

My issues,
Limited space between top of pond and bottom of compact sieve shelf, 18 inches, i have a below water pipe 2 inch (in or out) 6 inches below top of pond.
The crates im looking at are these http://www.solentplastics.co.uk/mass...ing-containers Size (Ext): L 600 x W 400 x H 170mm at 35 ltrs.
If i use the compact sieve i can get 3 crates at a push 4, 2 with media and one for water return, or 3 crates with media and last crate emptys on to pond surface.
I can use a thinner crate at 120mm instead of 170mm, i want to use BHM and im unsure if the gap between crate bottom and media in the crate below will be too small..

I could use the retro BD to a suitable vortex then external pump to bakki, my issue is my BD to pump pipe is 1.5" and im unsure if the superfish 1800 pump would empty the vortex quicker than the BD 1.5" pipe could supply the vortex, 2" may be ?

Thanks
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Help with bakki shower.

Post by Gazza »

Hi Russ,

Happy New Year young man :D

I am not sure on the set up (sorry probably something to do with a sore head :D ) and what is a BB ?

Not sure about the vortex as they don't work very well so a sieve will be better. Most containers will work with BHM as long as you can pump water over it,i used to have a bin on my QT which was pumped directly from the bottom drain and worked a treat for years :D
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Hi Gazza,

BB was ment to be BD as in bottom drain, so ive edited that.

My concern is not having enough hight, water drop or gap (14 inches ish) between the Compact Sieve outlet and the pond top, so i could use 3 trays at 12cm deep or use 2 trays at 17cm deep, the 12cm have less gap between media and the tray above than using the 17cm trays.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Russ,

I would go with the three tier shower i think it will work.
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Hi Gazza,

Im going to buy three of these http://www.solentplastics.co.uk/APVE6412.jpg then adding an insulated cover/splash gard, using a Superfish 8000.

Now for the support..
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Russ,

They look good the only thing you have to make sure is they are food grade as some materials do not like some of the treatments we use.
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Gazza they are food grade.

Thanks lad.