Taking a break

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Taking a break

Post by Bob Hart »

As many of you will know, about 18-months ago I moved and since then havent had a pond. I have though still managed the pond at my old house, where I still have 8 Koi and no new Koi have been added.

Now we're due to move again from a flat to a house as soon as a chain can be sorted out and I've decided not to build a pond when I get there. Time will tell whether this will satisfy me of course, but having been in this hobby for around 20-years, it's perhaps time for something else now.

Plus of course the cost of building a proper new pond and then the ever increasing costs of running a pond, mean it's probably beyond my finances really. I'm sure I could scrape by, but thats not what I would want to do.

So I'm taking a break from the hobby. I'll still attend shows and see lots of the people I know so well and who have become really good friends with.

Thanks to all of you I know well as friends and aquaintances, who have meant the hobby has been such fun over those 20-years
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: Taking a break

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Bob It has been a pleasure knowing you through all the forums we have been on over the many years of koi keeping,I fully understand your decision times are hard for every one at the moment.All the best for the future hope to see you at the shows.
welsh_kai_boy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by welsh_kai_boy »

seems 2011 is the year that alot of pond/koi keepers are breaking away. good luck with your new hobbies.
amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by amanda »

i hope we will see you about Bob, you and Gazza are like morcambe and wise :lol:
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Sad to hear Bob and hope we'll still see you around at some events.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

Enjoy yourself Bob.

Regards
Graham
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

Thanks Bob for all your help. I hope you will still keep an eye on us and if we are going in the wrong direction I hope you will post an appropriate comment.

Many thanks from all of us and lets keep intouch.

Peter
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Bob,

Well mate you will be missed and i do hope you will still be about mate as otherwise ill have to come and get you out on the odd koi nerding day :D

Best of luck to the move and hope all goes well and just let me know when you need a hand with the dig as it wont be the same without a dangerous Brian pond build :lol: :D
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Hi Mate, so happy you and the better half have found yourselves a house, enjoy it and perhaps the pond will come to fruition in the future, you know you will sit in the garden with a chilled beer and ponder (excuse the pun) where the pond would look really good, then you will sit down on those cold winter nights with no project to get your teeth into and begin to ponder yet again how you would do a pond if you ever were to have another one and then one day in the dim and distant future the spade will come out and a ll goldfish pond will be created NOT!!. Enjoy your time without a pond make the most of it cos we all know what hard work this really is. Shame another of my gurus is leaving the hobby. You will be missed and dont be a stranger
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Hi Bob

You can only take on so much DIY at a time mate, and a house move will undoubtedly create plenty of it! :roll:

Just remember you're only "taking a break" and spend some time thinking about what you really want from the hobby when you do come back to it - coz we all know you will. :wink:

Once you know what you want, you'll soon be digging your next pond. With all your 20 years' knowledge of koi and ponds, it may not be bigger than the last one, but it's bound to be better! :D

Good Luck mate.

Bob
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Russ Little Pond »

Bod thanks for your help and guidence ove my time here and I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your next hobby :)
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Bob

I have no words, you will know how I feel, but I wish you and your good lady all the very best for the future. Without you I would never of got to where I am in Koi health as you steered me to Koi Quest and Duncan. You gave me more than I could ever of imagined and I have nothing but praise and a lot of thanks for you. Please don't be a stranger and I hope I can still call on your knowledge.

Again Bob thank you and good luck x
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Everyone,

Thanks for all your kind comments, it's really appreciated.

We'll have to see what happens next after moving, Helen keeps saying 'we have to have a pond' but I dont think she really realises the costs involved. It's no cheap hobby, but I've enjoyed those 20+ years learning from everyone as we've all gone along.

I wont be a stranger, you wont get rid of me that quickly, but I have asked to be removed as Admin/Moderator.

I'm still available for fibreglassing though, done loads this year and I 'strangly' really enjoy it.
Glenn
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Glenn »

I'm with Helen, the girl has got sense, listen to her,

Regards

Glenn
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Listen to her, she is a very rare species of woman who actually has an interest in their other halfs hobbies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good to hear you wont disappear :)