Baytryl

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

steve t
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Baytryl

Post by steve t »

Hi

Back in the 70/80's I used to show budgies and in those days I could go to my local vet and buy baytryl from him for my birds.

I have noticed that today laws have changed and you cannot get Baytryl from vets, so I contacted a couple of budgie breeders I know and asked them what they use today instead of baytryl and they have sent me a link to this site http://www.mercasystems.com/pigeons/ind ... ectro.html

Has anybody used this and is it OK for koi as a substitute.

Steve
markam
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Baytryl

Post by markam »

Hi steve, I think you need to find a more sympathetic vet!! I still get baytril from vet without any problems.

Thanks mark
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

Steve,

Same here. Albeit around 2 years ago now my vet prescribed 10% baytril no problem and in fact as it was a "non stock" item i had to buy the whole bottle which he let me keep - happy days. Things the cost was about £65 + vat for 100ml.
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Is that an injectable one or an additive as it says add to water ??
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

steve

i have tried to track the company who make this and can find no trace but what i can tell you Baytril is a trade name for the drug Enrofloxacin which can be bought in as little as 2.5% concentration

so in short if you buy a bottle of baytril you are actually buying a bottle of Enrofloxacin which is the generic name

what you have here is a 100 ml bottle of Enrofloxacin at 10% which again is usuable but it does not say if its injectable ,

but as a 50 ml 10% Baytril bottle contains 45 ml of sterile water and 5g of active Enrofloxacin the same is true of what your proposing to buy except you will have double that amount

at the price its worth a try if its your only source i doubt the suspension for the Enrofloxacin is in anyway toxic otherwise it would not be given to a small fragile bird like a racing pigeon

so my conclusion is it is in essence 10% baytril and at a fraction of he price and my best guess is you will get away with it, but if in doubt try is on a cheap fish

dunc
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

http://www.agrovetmarket.com/ViewCatalo ... roduct=105

this link gives detail of the product and it does look like it's inject-able .....
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

well done chris, i could not find that

i would still have chanced it based on apart from the toxic enrofloxacin which would be the same in both cases) everything else has to be safe and intert cuz your giving it to a very small bird

great stuff and its 10% to boot and cheap

chalk another one up to the ultra zone :lol:
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

So....

Are we saying that this stuff - http://www.mercasystems.com/pigeons/ind ... ectro.html is available without prescription and does the same things as 10% baytril and a third of the cost?

If so that really is a success for the "Ultra" zone and those included in it.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

well Greg just this minute i finished ordering it , and the order has gone through i have had order conformation and my log in account details, they reckon 4 to 6 days delivery

So as they say watch this space

dunc
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

This is interesting. For £20 (including P&P) it makes a good contingency stock item.

Greg - if your vet has baytril as a "non-stock" item then what's the current injectable in favour for cats/dogs? 4 years ago it was certainly baytril for cat infections at my vets. Interested to see where they've moved onto.

Tom
steve t
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steve t »

Hi

Dose this mean we can buy it soon in the chemical factory :wink:

Steve
greg
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by greg »

tomc wrote:Greg - if your vet has baytril as a "non-stock" item then what's the current injectable in favour for cats/dogs? 4 years ago it was certainly baytril for cat infections at my vets. Interested to see where they've moved onto.

Tom
Tom,

To be honest i have no idea - i didn't ask and it was around 2 years ago so would struggle to remember anyway :lol:
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

Hi Guys;

Just a note of caution, the Baytril Greg found (I like Duncan have ordered some) is an oral formulation for adding to feeds or as drops into the pigeons mouth.

Until we see the SMPC (Summary of Medicinal Product characteristics) and can check the excepients is it is by no means certain that it is suitable for injection. In fact I will bet it isn't. Oral dosage forms normally do not meet the minimal specifications with regards to particulates, pH or osmolality required for injectables. They also often contain preservatives that are inappropriate when given by injection.

So until we are sure I would suggest we limit the use of this product to oral use only and when we get the data decide if it is OK for injectable use.

Peter
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

Hi Guys;

Good job I didn't need the Batryl urgently..... as soon as it comes I will update you. Probably Duncan will beat me as I see he is active on the forum again. Excellent news (duncan :D not the Baytril :( )

Peter
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Guys,

I do actualy have some of this as its nice and cheap and was going to see how to go about "playing" with it and must of missed this post :oops: :roll: