Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

jasonmarshall
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

vortex filter with a nexus

Post by jasonmarshall »

Hi,

I have a pond that holds 3750 gallons and i use a nexus 200 filter, the pond is not very heavily stocked but the filter does struggle and i have to clean it every day otherwise the filter overflows and i loose loads of water quickly. i was thinking of puting a vortex filter before my nexus, but my nexus is pump fed, and my local shop says i can only use a vortex with a gravity fed sysem? is this right??

Regards

Jason
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: vortex filter with a nexus

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jason,

Welcome to Koi Quest :D

There must be a reason why the filter is blocking so fast so we may need a bit more info is it and eazy type and how is it set up and size of pump :?:

What is it that is making it block is it waste or blanket weed :?:
jasonmarshall
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by jasonmarshall »

Hi thanks for the reply,

i have an aquamax 12000 pump its an easy and although there is a bit of blanket weed it seems to be normal pond waste, i have tried to clean the outer chamber via the small valve at the side but it does not drain it and am wondering if its blocked up some how. the filter runs fine after its cleaned?

regards

jason
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Hi Jason
What size air pump do you have in the Nexus?

Regards Geoff
mark6465
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by mark6465 »

jasonmarshall wrote:Hi thanks for the reply,

i have an aquamax 12000 pump its an easy and although there is a bit of blanket weed it seems to be normal pond waste, i have tried to clean the outer chamber via the small valve at the side but it does not drain it and am wondering if its blocked up some how. the filter runs fine after its cleaned?

regards

jason
your pump may be to much, i know you will have some head loss the nexus 200/210 max flow is 10,000, that is perhaps why over time it over flows.
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

If you have lots of short bits of blanket weed breaking off and sticking to the outside of the Kaldness screen, this will cause the water level to rise in the entrance channel and the pond side of the filter, I stuck a long brush in between the screen and the wall and it does give you little extra time before your clean. But the only real answer is to get rid of the algae.

B.Scott