Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Heat Exchanger (How Does Work)

Post by Taggy »

Hi all

I need some help in understanding how heating to a pond should work :oops:

Mine is the normal set up running off the house boiler but i fear something is broke or i have a pocket of air thats causing the problem,so hot goes down to the pond through heat exchanger returning cold?? My fear is heat exchanger is knackered as it should be a continuous loop of hot once all has warmed up??? Would a pocket of air possibly cause this problem at all??

Any ideas or help much appreciated

Graham
MikeWh
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Re: Heat Exchanger (How Does Work)

Post by MikeWh »

Hi Taggy....If your heat exchange or any related pipe work is damaged, your header tank would run constantly (the small tank)....If your on a sealed system you will be putting pressure back in all the time.....It could just be that your heat exchange is working very well, that is if you are getting a return at all....
In answer to your question, yes an air lock could cause this to happen if your getting no return from it....
Also check your zone valve to your pond (if you have one)...
If you let me us know as much as you can about your whole heating system, & also what your heat exchange is connected by ie: compression fittings/union joint/push fit plastic etc it's much easier to help.

Mike
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Hi

My system runs straight from boiler it has copper pipe to the rear of my outside wall what is then connected by plastic pipe that runs through a 4 inch pipe down the garden to protect it,it then connects by screw plastic fittings one to the bottom of heat exchanger then at top copper fittings that in turn convert to plastic running back up to boiler so a loop as such

It was put in by a plumber who has a Koi pond himself and it has worked perfect for the last 6 years

Graham
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Graham,

Is the pond not heating up or keeping temperature :?:
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Well a bit of a update,have turned all of system back on as it was off now i have one pipe that is luke warm going down to pond/heat exchanger cold returning back to boiler,thermastat fine turning on and off will do a bit of gardening for a couple of hours to see if anything develops.

Non Gazza saw the problem friday could here the air in system bled it and its been up the swaney since!!! fish got the right hump jumping 18 down to low 14

Graham
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Well with it running this afternoon,nothing apart from warm water and cold at heat exchanger end and returning up to boiler so i reckon either i have a air lock or heat exchanger is stuffed and i aint got a scoobly what to do to prove or fix either any ideas??

Graham
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Graham,

OK so are you saying the pipe that goes from the boiler to the HX is not hot so you think the pond will not warm up ?

How is the system plumbed in have you a zone valve for the pond and is this opening correctly ?

When the pond zone valve opens does the boiler fire up ?
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

OK so are you saying the pipe that goes from the boiler to the HX is not hot so you think the pond will not warm up ? Yes Thats correct luke warm the bootom pipe into heat exchanger and cold the other side returning to house??

How is the system plumbed in have you a zone valve for the pond and is this opening correctly ? yes it is opening and closing when you up or lower temp on digistat

When the pond zone valve opens does the boiler fire up ? it uses hot water in tank first i believe and then fires up when needed

Graham
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Graham,

If the pipe to the HX is warm then it will not warm up so the boiler is either not firing up to warm up your water and if you have a tank then run the tap in the house and see if you get hot water and if you do then there is something wrong with the zone valve.
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Yep piping water to house and boiler comes on as you are using if ya know what i mean,

Zone valve opens when pond calling for water and closes when at right temp

Truly stumped

Graham
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Zone valve opens when pond calling for water and closes when at right temp
If its opening when the pond calls for it and closes at right temp then isn't that OK then :?:
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

No as im not getting any hot water to go round the pipe as such,you used to be able to put hands on pipes to a degree and they would be red hot boiler end for pond,now just luke warm and freezing on other one.

Graham
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Take the valve actuator off and move the valve by hand as it cant be opening correctly to let the water through :idea:
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

Graham,

What make and model is your boiler??? Is it one of those `modern`energy saving compact ones or a nice old fashioned one?

As you are trying to get hot water down to the bottom of your garden, or thereabouts, is there a pump on the pond circuit somewhere that isn`t working??? I find it hard to see how you would get hot water moving any distance without a pump of some sort. :?

Chris (another one)
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Yes i have a pump one of those red jobbies i will take a picture later may make it easier,

Graham